Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Taxation of GA aircraft ownership and sales

Sweden: Ownership: None. Sales: Tax on profit.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 22 Apr 07:11
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

UK has no tax on assets.

And no tax on private sale of aircraft; only if you do it enough to look like a “dealer” in which case they will tax the profit as income (same with selling cars, etc). I would think every country has an identical provision, for obvious reasons.

There have been noises re putting a tax on capital assets (houses, basically) but this is a political hot potato. It already exists in the form of a long standing property tax which works out of the order of some fraction of 1%, paid every year, paid to the local authority. But it isn’t called “tax”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

T28 wrote:

Italian tax is weight based – 1.25 Eur /kg for the most common 1000 – 2000 kg category,

Really? So why the whole fuzz about it? If your plane is AOG in Italy and you really can’t get it out within 6 months, I’d assume that these 1.250 to 2.500 EUR tax is the smallest of your problems.

Germany

So why the whole fuzz about it?

The purpose of this thread is to find out the current situation and it wasn’t always thus. The amount was also a lot bigger. If you look up the links I posted, this was a serious entrapment risk. The exemption for aircraft “undergoing maintenance” came only later, and nobody I ever found was able to come up with any details of it, which left you at the mercy of some local authority.

Maybe @africaneagle or @italianjon may know more. The indications are that it affects only based pilots there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What if e.g. the aircraft goes AOG and ends up stuck in that country for some months?

You mean it’s real estate now? I think Ultranomad gave an anwser to that

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It already exists in the form of a long standing property tax which works out of the order of some fraction of 1%, paid every year, paid to the local authority. But it isn’t called “tax”.

Really? I thought it was called “council tax”! It’s still called “rates” over here.

Andreas IOM

No wealth tax in Ireland.

We have a “Capital Gains Tax” on the sale of assets (or debts) but that would not generally include aircraft, as we exclude any asset that has an expected useful life of less than 50 years. That’s not the tax man being generous Rather they are concerned that such assets would usually generate a loss on sale and such loss could be used as deduction against future gains! But if they are exempt, then the loss is of no use.

Trading in aircraft would be treated the same as any other trading activity and subject to Income Tax in all it’s various guises.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

To add the German situation: In Germany we do not have a tax on private assets and therefore also no tax on airplanes.

It’s always discussed when elections come up but up until now we do not have it

Germany

Since the very end of 2012, to the best of my knowldege, there have not been any updates to the Italian luxury tax on private aircraft.
The last “update” was in December 2012, when the “duration” on Italian soil for the tax to apply changed from 45 days (with the counter going to back to zero as soon as the aircraft left Italy) to 6 months total within a calender year. That finally made it a non-issue for any “visitors”.

My writeup is still online, even though I no longer link to from my homepage. http://www.fliegen-in-italien.de/luxussteuer.html

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

But the Greek tax cannot be used to hit visitors, and I believe it applies only to SX-reg.

It applies to all tax residents in Greece and their belongings. But yes, it’s much easier to tax-evade if your airplane is not SX-reg.

I had this problem owning a car worth 1000 EUR in Greece, and I was being taxed the equivalent of something like 4000 EUR annual income (2021 values), even though I’m a permanent resident of another EU country. Sold it since it’s much cheaper to rent a car when you add up road tax, no-income-income tax, and insurance.

Last Edited by Dimme at 22 Apr 12:35
ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message