Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glass cockpit vs steam gauges for low time PPL (and getting into a fast aircraft early on)

Congrats, well done! Onwards and upwards….

Way to go, Bravo! (Almost as impressive as 280 posts in your first thread )

Tököl LHTL

GG

Congrats!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Hm, given your two quite distinct requirements (local flights for fun/sightseeeing/gaining experience, long-distance flights) and relative lack of financial pressure, I would seriously think about eventually getting 2 airplanes
- first something fun to fly (and possibly relatively cheap), maybe even ultralight/acro/bush/motorglider plane, whatever is the most appealing to you
- and then (a couple of years later?) the long distance cruiser, once you feel confident in your flying and know better what you really want/need

If you go for Cirrus/TBM, you might miss the ‘fun to fly’ aspect, as those are really fly-the-autopilot airplanes, hence you might as well keep the fun-to-fly airplane.

True, you will split your experience and have less currency on the cruiser – but you will probably spend much more quality time overall in the air.

Last Edited by esteban at 09 Aug 06:48
Slovakia

Thanks to all for congratulations!
My current thoughts on choosing the plane. I like three planes: Cessna 182, SR22 and DA-62. The first two are possible options to buy as a first plane. I must try them both to get a better understanding. Although DA-62 is not an option for a first plane (because of ME rating), I’ve started to think that I must try it too because it affects the first plane choice very much. If I decide to buy a DA-62, I can do it within a year. In this case, it would make no sense to buy an SR22. I would hardly get much more from it within the first year compared to a C182, and I would lose much more money buying/selling it. And even a C182 could be a more simple one. A turbo would not make much sense, advanced options not needed as well, just G1000 and GFC700 autopilot.

LCPH, Cyprus

Valentin wrote:

I’ve just passed my skill test!
Congratulations!

So it’s time to start choosing aircraft to buy.

And also to start flying by yourself. Don’t wait!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

And also to start flying by yourself. Don’t wait!

1000 times this! Don’t wait. I was forced to after my PPL first because of having a daughter, then because of moving to another city where I needed to connect to the local GA scene anew. I lost almost 6 valuable months before I flew again. With my currency obliterated, all flights since have been with an FI, and I haven’t got back to flying all by myself, which was no problem as a student pilot with 40 hrs SPIC time.

Now one year has passed and I have only 10 hrs as PIC since getting the PPL. I am considering giving up…
No matter how you decide, make sure you fly again quickly! Don’t let your currency degrade!

Last Edited by MedEwok at 09 Aug 15:10
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

I lost almost 6 valuable months before I flew again. With my currency obliterated, all flights since have been with an FI, and I haven’t got back to flying all by myself

Unbelievable. Is this something you have decided yourself, or is your (new?) FI behind this? Your currency is NOT obliterated in 6 months. One flight on your own, a few touch and goes, some stalls, steep turns etc etc, and you are back. If this really is the case, as you say, and you cannot handle an airplane on your own, then I wonder about the quality of the flight school that gave you your license. IMO of course and so on

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I agree this is really strange.

But the sooner one gets out of the school environment and starts to enjoy solo flying, the better. Many clubs/schools discourage people from doing much, for a variety of reasons.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message