Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glass cockpit vs steam gauges for low time PPL (and getting into a fast aircraft early on)

The Continental powered 182 is carburretted and can in theory operate on Mogas – but not sure how good Mogas is at higher levels.

But you are buying an older, albeit well supported, type. You can also open both windows on the ground and the high wing provides shade.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

You can also open both windows on the ground and the high wing provides shade.

Exactly. One of the reasons I liked C182.

LCPH, Cyprus

Yes, C182 is a very good choice.

If I can speak obout my little experience :
I got my PPL summer 2014, began to seek a plane in september, have flght tests with C182, SR20 and SR22.
With little experience, I found C182 better for me and seek one. I had only 100 hours flying including PPL formation.
At this time I haven’t got any opinion about GFC700, WAAS, synthetic vison, TAS etc… I only knew that I wanted a « modern » glass cockpit.
I found a late 2008 C182T, being helped by a professionnel and get it in the beginning of 2015. It as all these equipments.
I read all the books (POH, G1000 reference manuel) and began to fly with it.
With about 100 more hours, I began IR rating on my plane and got it with exactly the mandatory 40 hours (done in 3 weeks spread in 2 months). My instructor told me my very good knowledge of G1000 was critical to get IR rating so quickly.

Right now, with about 700 hours, I really love my C182 and the only thing she doesn’t have is a turbo.
I use it for short and long flights from my base in France (LFRN) (gone to la Gomera in the canaries via Morocco, Greece, Spain).

High wings is a real plus : shadow under the sun, umbrella under the rain, it seems to be few things but it’s huge in my opinion.

SEP and tricycle undercarriage is not a real problem over water, please read this : http://www.equipped.org/ditchingmyths.htm Myths 6 and 10…

For sure it could be faster, but until LVL90 she goes 140kts, not bad.

You can land almost everywhere.
All meccanics in the world knows the Cessnas.

For me G1000 is not an issue, it’s the contrary: you’ve got everything on your screen. How separate screens and old 6 packs should be better for situational awareness ?

G1000 is largely sold, everything is « line repaceable ». What is the matter ?

… written at Elba where I flew yesterday with my spouse and last son…

Last Edited by LimaVictor at 29 Jul 15:18

Your experience is valuable for me, LimaVictor! Your plane is very similar to what I’m looking for – a fresh C182T with G1000.
Have you ever experienced any problems related to the avionics during these 3.5 years?

LCPH, Cyprus

Fortunately, I haven’t any problem with the G1000.
I only had a DME failure which needed a replacement (standard exchange)

Did you consider a turbo when buying your aircraft and why did you choose a normally aspirated one, LimaVictor?

LCPH, Cyprus

I had insufficient knowledge to consider it.
But for now, if I had to choose I would buy a turbocharged one : for IFR it’s a real plus.
What I read on POH is that it begins to be better above LVL90-100.

Last Edited by LimaVictor at 29 Jul 15:51

I have flown C182s in various versions from FG via RG to Katmai in Europe, Africa and the US and they are, IMHO, the ‘Swiss Army Knife’ of GA. Lionel above has already enumerated several key points, one more which is important for travel with family or friends is the view. Because of the high wing, backseaters also get to see the world from above. And yes, you can land these things pretty much anywhere. I’ve flown them into big int’l airports as well as into remote dirt strips in Africa. There are not a lot of things a C182 cannot handle.

I wouldn’t necessarily go for a turbocharged one, though. The turbo only becomes effective (and important) once you are approaching O2 territory. I doubt your family would love to fly with cannulae up their noses. Also, where you are based and where you will be flying there aren’t any serious mountains, so high-altitude performance isn’t really the big issue (as opposed to, say, someone living in Switzerland or Austria, or, indeed, here in the western US). Turbocharged engines add a level of complexity you don’t need, especially as you live in a country where maintenance is an issue. The more recent ones also come with glass cockpit and can be outfitted with a BRS parachute system, see article here. You could even install tip tanks to become less dependent on Avgas in Greece, see here.

172driver wrote:

I wouldn’t necessarily go for a turbocharged one, though. The turbo only becomes effective (and important) once you are approaching O2 territory. I doubt your family would love to fly with cannulae up their noses. Also, where you are based and where you will be flying there aren’t any serious mountains, so high-altitude performance isn’t really the big issue (as opposed to, say, someone living in Switzerland or Austria, or, indeed, here in the western US). Turbocharged engines add a level of complexity you don’t need, especially as you live in a country where maintenance is an issue.

Probably my example of going to a skiing destination with my family made many people think that I plan to travel often with my family on the plane I’m going to buy. This is a misunderstanding! While liking this idea in general, I don’t think it’s realistic that we will travel long distances with my family in a SEP and they will enjoy it. There are more chances this to happen when I buy a turboprop or at least something more speedy like SR22.
There are more chances I will travel long distances in my first plane without my family. And flying with cannulas is entirely acceptable. Turbo can be advantageous when flying IFR to overfly some weather. And hopefully one day I’ll reach some mountains on this plane too. So the turbo seems to be more versatile.

LCPH, Cyprus

172driver wrote:

The more recent ones also come with glass cockpit and can be outfitted with a BRS parachute system, see article here.

It’s bizarre how they managed to increase useful load after installing their BRS system. If it’s just some paperwork, why couldn’t all C182 have their load increased?
Is this BRS installation only possible in the US or Europe as well?

LCPH, Cyprus
Sign in to add your message