Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A student pilot says "Hello EuroGA"

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Hello Leonard,
just now read through the whole thread and would like to extend a warm welcome to you as well!

You picked the most frustrating season learning how to fly but in fact you will find you did yourself a big favour as you have flown in bad weather. Many new PPL’s have not and therefore will either be very uneasy doing so for good reason or underestimate it and get in trouble. Learning to fly in these conditions can be frustrating but you will find that summer flying after a winter of learning will be quite a pleasurable letdown from quite some anxiety to “is it really that nice?” when the weather is good.

You are in a great area for flying, mostly flat terrain and great landscape, plus in reach of wonderful areas to fly to. You’ll enjoy the islands and other mostly quite carefree trips this summer I hope (well, the weather does not always correspond but at least your area offers plenty of alternatives in such cases).

Thanks a lot for your kind words. The weather so far was really frustrating, especially as I had to cancel roughly 50-60% of all lessons this year (and my instructors are really not picky when it comes to the weather…), but I too think the experience will be valuable. I don’t want to end up as a CAVOK only pilot
The area here itself is really nice, with the East Frisian Islands being natural destinations for all pilots and easily accessible by plane. Also, once you are airborne here there is no terrain for dozens of miles which you could potentially hit, with the sole exceptions of wind turbines below 800 ft. Above that you are free to fly as you please.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Someone suggested to wait 200 hrs before carrying family.

Like you, I sharply disagree with this suggestion. I will take them once I (and they, of course) feel like it. I reckon this will be only a few hours after getting the license. The first trip I have in mind is visiting my best friend in Bonn (EDKB) and taking him back to Leer (EDWF) in the Aquila. If that goes well, and it should, I don’t see why I shouldn’t be taking my family on local trips. My mother in law also wants me to fly her here from Braunschweig (EDVE). All of this should be quite manageable trips not unlike the ones I have to fly solo during training.
Mooney_Driver wrote:

If you should consider ownership, you will want to plan ahead a bit. However, there are some types which are very good family planes and quite economical to operate too while others will look great but also cost considerably more. If you want advice for that, there will be plenty offered in this forum. On the lower end of the price range, there are many Cherokees and Cessna 172’s available for a variety of prices and conditions, as well as Arrow II’s and vintage Mooneys, all of which can do well as family planes, depending on what kind of travelling you want to do.

I will eventually get back on that and open a thread on the perfect “family plane” for me. But not yet. In the next five years I’ll probably stick with renting unless I can find a well-maintained C172 or better C182 for a bargain price. My long term goals are more ambitions, but long term here means probably 20 years or more (see the recent topic about cost of GA)…

Mooney_Driver wrote:

As I said, if that is a goal of yours, you are at the right place.

So have fun finishing your PPL and then enjoy flying!

Well once again thanks a lot for your kindness and it certainly makes getting into aviation much easier having knowlegdeable and friendly people like you at hand whom one can ask!

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Aviathor wrote:

You will. Just keep the nose up – don’t let it drop. And if it drops, reduce the bank, bring the nose back up, and then roll back to 60°

The problem is I do comprehend how to do it in theory, but in practice pulling the nose up (and thus experiencing positive Gs AND centrifugal forces feels highly uncomfortable and unnerving for me. Letting the nose drop makes it feel much less uncomfortable :(

dylan_22 wrote:

You should absolutely train to get these fears under control. 60 degree/2 g steep turns are a lot of fun once you master them, and so are Lazy Eights, Chandelles and other maneuvers for which your trainer is approved.

I believe you, I’m sure that is fun for many people. Me however, I didn’t even like rollercoasters as a kid and avoided them at all cost. I’m still not convinced feeling like being in one can be a pleasurable experience. But I will keep trying for sure!

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Most people have issues with steep turns because they aren’t looking properly ahead at maintaining the attitude and are using instruments too much, this then leads to inaccuracies and coarse corrections which give the sensations some find unpleasant. Get your FI demonstrate a properly maintained steep turn (both ways) which you watch and then remember how the ‘picture’ looks- there will also be some part of the cowling or a fastener etc for your eyeline which tracks the horizon that you can remember as a reference. When you then practice concentrate on achieving and maintaining this ‘picture’ with a good lookout and occasional glances only at the instruments, try and remember the amount of back pressure you require to maintain the attitude. Too many FIs do a rushed teach and don’t allow student the time to absorb the attitude required before practice! Good luck!

Now retired from forums best wishes

Steep turns are a lot easier when there is a well defined horizon, for use as a reference against the top of the cowling

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

No doubt somebody will be along to say its dangerous

I think it depends on the airplanes. As I mentioned earlier there are airplanes like the C172 and DA40 that will do that without any issue. Others like the PA38 will drop a wing and and go into a spin that you can break if you react instantly with the right control inputs.

Given the videos I posted earlier it looks like the Aquilas have very benign characteristics.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

I think it depends on the airplanes. As I mentioned earlier there are airplanes like the C172 and DA40 that will do that without any issue. Others like the PA38 will drop a wing and and go into a spin that you can break if you react instantly with the right control inputs.

Older tailwheel aircraft like I was flying to get my Private are not benign in this situation, but at the appropriate stage I think the falling leaf exercise is good because you learn that a measured and immediate amount of forward stick plus appropriate rudder keeps it on an even keel, even when you’re mushing along half-stalled. If it does roll off and start a spin entry you learn to fix that, and after a while it starts to feel manageable and that provides confidence. I imagine you can do the same thing very nicely in most gliders and it gives you the feeling of flying the plane, versus following a recovery procedure without actually feeling the wing.

@Balliol
I do indeed have a tendency to look on the instruments rather than on the horizon, which is certainly partly to blame for the unpleasantness. I need to focus more.

@Aviathor
I have no comparison as the Aquila is so far the only plane I have flown, but it certainly feels benign. Add to that that it is really hard work to get it into a stall in the first place. I can hardly imagine how one can accidentally stall this aircraft (well I can but it isn’t easy during normal operations)

@Silvaire
I think my instructor had something like the falling leaf in mind when he wanted to practice stalls with me,it certainly sounds like what you describe. The danger of entering a spin terrified me more than it should have I guess.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

unless I can find a well-maintained C172 or better C182 for a bargain price.

I’d keep my eyes a lot more open than that. When I got back flying I was looking at a PA28-180 because I wanted an “easy” plane with no systems and no expensive stuff to take care of. Eventually I ended up with a Mooney and I am darn glad I did as I am sure the Cherokee would not have satisfied me in the long run. And the beauty is, it did not cost me more than the elusive 180 but actually less and costs are not worse.

Keeping your mind open is a very good thing you can do in aviation. Just as an example, I look at the Grummann Traveller the OP of the unfortunate prop strike thread bought for the price as an excellent example how you can get a very capable little traveller for really low money. 13k even £ is extremely low for a 4 seater with 150 hp and ready to fly. And there is a lot more like it available.

You are right however to rent for a while just to give you the chance to see some other planes.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

@Mooney_Driver
I will keep my eyes and mind open. I admit that I find C172s quite boring…without ever having flown one…so a less “ordinary” plane would certainly be attractive. At 1,92 m height I also want something with lots of legroom and headroom. A Bonanza for example would be nice because of the additional space which comes in handy for a family. Interestingly enough what my wife wants is a plane with a toilet on board, but AFAIK no SEPs have one…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

A Bonanza for example

Just keep in mind that airplane was the era’s “Doctor killer”

This is a joke of course – couldn’t resist. Shame on me.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message