Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What to log for dual night VFR instruction?

10 Posts

I’ve just had my first VFR night lesson.

As I’m doing the training in Germany but on my UK license – the instructor and I were unsure what to log as “Holder’s Operating Capacity”. What was I today? Apparently, I wasn’t PIC, because it was dual. SPIC also doesn’t apply. What does?

The instructor said “student pilot”, but that’s too long for the field.

Thanks

Patrick

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Dual.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

P U/T – pilot under training in the dual column as per above

Now retired from forums best wishes

Thanks! P U/T is what I had used before (pre-license issue), wasn’t sure if that applies later on as well. That’ll do.

Why can’t you be PIC while dual?

Tököl LHTL

AFAIK EASA doesn’t use PUT. And the format they provided has no column for operating capacity as such. If it’s dual, you simply put the time into the dual column. If it’s e.g. PICUS and you’re entitled to claim it as PIC, you put it into PIC column and PICUS with instructor’s signature goes to the remarks column. Since you’re using a different logbook, it really depends on your NAA.

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

In this case I imagine they actually flew at night and he doesn’t have the privileges for that so can’t be PIC. PS: Unless he flies solo, of course.

Last Edited by Martin at 25 Nov 21:42

Martin wrote:

In this case I imagine they actually flew at night and he doesn’t have the privileges for that so can’t be PIC. PS: Unless he flies solo, of course.

Correct.

Martin, right. P/UT is not an EASA term. And as you say, the EASA logbook for at does not ask for anything else than to put the flight time in the DUAL column. For references see here, pages 29 and following ones.

“P/UT” is some UK CAA term, but since Patrick is on a UK CAA issued license, it might actually be OK to use this term. As you say, it also depends on the logbook used. What is important after all is that it is not PIC time, since he cannot legally be PIC yet. It might technically be SPIC time, but AFAIK, schools usually want DUAL to be used as in dual Night Rating training.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

To add complexity, my log book is American because I trained there. I suppose that’s where the confusion arises from and is the reason no one knows how to fill that column – if it doesn’t exist in EASA world.

The school doesn’t care, as long as I don’t put SPIC.

I will go with P/UT because it has appeared in my log book before – and will be glad to transition to an EASA-compatible logbook when this is one full.

boscomantico wrote:

“P/UT” is some UK CAA term, but since Patrick is on a UK CAA issued license, it might actually be OK to use this term.

Indeed. In his place, I would just log it as I logged the instruction during PPL training. It’s the same thing and it was accepted.

It might technically be SPIC time, but AFAIK, schools usually want DUAL to be used as in dual Night Rating training.

SPIC is reserved for integrated courses that include IR AFAIK. It’s essentially solo but without being alone (no instruction given, if an instructor has to intervene because a student screws up, it’s automatically dual). They can fly IFR like that (and actually have to IIRC).

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message