Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CB-IR theory acceptable for the BIR?

Are there any CAAs in Europe (EASA) which accepts the CB-IR theoretical knowledge exams for the BIR?

FI, ATPL TKI and aviation writer
ENKJ, ENRK, Norway

ErlendV wrote:

Are there any CAAs in Europe (EASA) which accepts the CB-IR theoretical knowledge exams for the BIR?

Why should they not? The TK requirements for the CB-IR and the BIR are the same. Only the way the exams are set up differ.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Why should they not? The TK requirements for the CB-IR and the BIR are the same. Only the way the exams are set up differ.

@Airborne_Again, I object! :) They are different, but BIR is a subset of CB-IR, AFAIK.

EGTR

Talking about BIR, any update on if the UK CCA will adopt it?

EGSU, United Kingdom

Fernando wrote:

Talking about BIR, any update on if the UK CCA will adopt it?

They will not, as confirmed by them a few times. “The industry does not want it” (c).
And while they are working on a new raings and licenses and they cannot confirm when they are going to produce a first draft, no timeframe.

EGTR

DGAC does accept ATPL, IR, CBIR theory for BIR

Only two places have the practical course approved, no one has passed the skill-test yet, the unofficial requirement for BIR test is 25h-45h of practical training tough

The main real advantage of BIR over CBIR is no ’ English IFR ELP’ (this a requirement in France for CBIR, many people do not have a choice as “IFR ELP” test by DGAC is bloody though on them: even FAA IR holders who converted will get CBIR restricted to ‘French IFR FPL’ and fly using FAA IR outside)

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Sep 11:05
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

I object! :) They are different, but BIR is a subset of CB-IR, AFAIK.

FCL.835 Basic instrument rating (BIR)
[…]
(c)Training course. Applicants for the BIR shall have completed at an ATO:
(1) theoretical knowledge instruction in accordance with point FCL.615(a);

FCL.615 IR – Theoretical knowledge and flight instruction
(a) Course
Applicants for an IR shall have completed a course of theoretical knowledge and flight instruction at an ATO. The course shall be:
(1) an integrated training course which includes training for the IR, in accordance with Appendix 3 to this Annex (Part-FCL); or
(2) a modular course in accordance with Appendix 6 to this Annex (Part-FCL)

I hope that I’m wrong, but as the BIR TK paragraph directly refers to the regular IR TK paragraph, I can’t see how the BIR TK is a subset.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 15 Sep 11:12
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

I hope that I’m wrong, but as the BIR TK paragraph directly refers to the regular IR TK paragraph, I can’t see how the BIR TK is a subset.

From the LO (learning objectives) BIR file, as per EASA.

EGTR

B IR theory is even more reduced than CB IR.
So are the exam question banks (1400 vs 4000 questions).

Biggest advantage is no minimum hours for the B IR.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Biggest advantage is no minimum hours for the B IR

Are you aware of anyone who got B-IR with less than 10h ATO?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message