Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying N-reg in Europe with EASA license, and FI requirements for IR training in it

I don’t think you can get an initial outside UK airspace?

AFAIK that is true. Many have looked and tried. All failed… The “FTO protection system” is watertight

I don’t see that in CAA standard document?

Restrictive practices are rarely published

We are increasingly digressing off the topic. Is the objective to do the IR in Italy, with non-Italian papers? I don’t see how one can, unless the LHS holds at least a 61.75 and the actual conditions are VFR. And the RHS is happy

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi all,

well, if I understand it correctly then the minimum that would be needed for me is a 61.75 validation, so that I can fly legally an N-reg in Europe, at least in VFR.

Now, as I started with the idea of getting some IR training in it with @snoopy, I could fly VFR to him in Austria, and there do some training which should be legal because:

• the FI holds an austrian license with FI privileges, and
  • the student holds a 61.75

So as long as we are on a VFR flight plan we should even be able to go over the border. A “real” IFR flight plan should be doable as long as we stay (in this example) in Austria.

Correct?

Sure EASA made things easier, but damn I wish it would be all better coordinated

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

That should be ok in the instructor country, he can file IFR as well within country

I can’t see the legality of instruction (or exam) in N-reg outside instructor (or examiner) country VFR/IFR, especially for reward? he needs FAA CPL, FAA CFI/CFII/DPe and FAA C1 medical (and EASA CPL, EASA C1, EASA FI/IRI/IRE if he is resident), maybe it’s ok with domestic papers only if student can act as PIC on FAA61.75 after crossing border?

Last Edited by Ibra at 31 Aug 15:03
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

without him doing it for free

That, surely, is not relevant to whether he can be legally PIC in an N-reg.

The payment issue was relevant under the old CAA/DfT regime, which is why certain people did checkrides at LFAT.

Correct?

Yes.

Sure EASA made things easier

Not when the Great Satan is involved

10 years ago many hoped that the FAA-EASA treaty would lead to mutual acceptance of licensing but it never happened. The US more or less does it (61.75, foreign pilot exam, acceptance of all non-US training) but EASA could never agree to the reciprocal due to the need for FTO trade protection.

Administrator

That, surely, is not relevant to whether he can be legally PIC in an N-reg

Of course, one can teach and charge on N-reg outside domestic airspace “as consultant” or “freelance teacher” or “ride compagnant” no need to act as FAA PIC or have FAA CPL

He does not even need to log that flight in an FAA logbook, so no question asked !

Last Edited by Ibra at 31 Aug 15:09

hmmm, no.

Administrator

Then, except country of instructor licence, the instructor will need FAA CPL to receive reward for any flight training in N-reg, this fact can get more obvious, it’s crystal clear in FAR !

Let’s say you are flying N-reg with student in US airspace with French instructor paper, can you fly 1h and sign their SEP rating for 50$ with EASA FI and FAA61.75? I gather NO, you need FAA CPL !

PS: this has nothing to do with CAA/DFT or FTO job protection or EASA/CAA, an FAA CPL is mandated by FAR when someone is doing training in N-reg while flying over Zimbabwe airspace (without holding Zimbabwe instructor papers, UK or Italian papers have same validity as Golf clubs membership cards in that airspace)

Last Edited by Ibra at 31 Aug 16:20
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message