Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which Instrument Rating?

About to start renovating the old watch tower

IFR upgrade with ATC+IAP next?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Defo ! Plus bird scarer, fire and rescue. Already have immigration…..

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Thanks @Pig, interesting.

I assumed you used that stretch of taxiway for takeoffs and landings.

For someone who grew up in Germany, everytime around, it remains amazing to see people take a stretch of land or tarmac and as long as the owners permits it – presto – you have an airfield.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Picking up on a couple of earlier comments about the FAA to UK IR route….. (in context that I fly N reg Cirrus in UK and will increasingly fly more outside of the UK)

I have an IMCR – and just less than 50 hours instrument flight time (around 15 of those were PUT), so just under 35 hours P1.

I WAS (still am!) planning to go the US this summer to do an acclerated FAA IR course – and I have a few options open to me. However, I had understood that once I had the FAA IR, I could return to the UK and complete the UK IR check ride immediately (as I’ve had around say 70ish hours IFR) and would then have 2 IR’s.

BUT, there is a grey area here – and that is the 50 hours PIC. My understanding is that in order to take the UK check ride, I’d need 50 hours PIC IFR – and I’d always worked on the basis that the instrument flight time hours I had with the IMCR would count towards that – and obviously having done FAA IR, the total IFR PIC hours would have increased well beyond 50 hours- but is it the case that the 50 hours PIC IFR needs to be post-IR? if thats the case, it rather scuppers the whole plan and would then mean some considerable hour building IFR in order to attain that?

Mixed opinions on this so far – there must be a definitive answer to this – i just can’t find a reference?

vmc-on-top wrote:

but is it the case that the 50 hours PIC IFR needs to be post-IR?

To my knowledge, it is not the case.
If you have:
- ICAO IR and
- 50 hrs PIC XC IFR

Then all you need to do is:
- answer some theoretical questions asked by an examiner and
- perform an IR skills test.

Try e-mailing CAA? I mean in the format of “is this correct that if I do 1, 2 and 3 I get a UK IR?”.

EGTR

I doubt it has to do with CAA/ATO interpretation? there is one single of contact in ICAO/FCL conversion: the IRE who is doing the oral & skill-test, if he is not happy with 50h PIC IFR, things are not going anywhere, if he is happy with it things are not stopping anywhere…

There is nothing in the guidance but I would go with has been said above it’s two requirements valid ICAO IR and (unrelated) 50h PIC IFR

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Apr 21:52
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
66 Posts
Sign in to add your message