Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Differences training

And the ??? continues:

Is there an EASA definition about which planes need which differences training?

Is the following correct?
DA40NG: Single Power Lever, Efis
PA28 Turbo Arrow: Turbocharged, Retractable, (edit:) variable pitch – thanks @Noe
Cirrus SR22: Single Power Lever, Efis
Cirrus SR22T: Single Power Lever, Efis, Turbocharged

Concerning logging of the training:
CRI/FI is pic, I log it as „dual“?

Last Edited by Snoopy at 10 Mar 14:54
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

PA28 Turbo Arrow: Turbocharged, Retractable

+ Variable pitch prop.

About the 22s, unclear to me if they are considered variable pitch and / or SLPC

Snoopy wrote:

Is there an EASA definition about which planes need which differences training?

The primary source is the appropriate EASA class/type ratings and licence endorsement list at https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/product-certification/typeratings-and-licence-endorsement-lists

The classes listed there are reproduced in GM1 FCL.700, which is in the consolidated (unofficial) version of Aircrew AMC&GM (21 Jun 2016), and also in the Easy Access to Part-FCL document (which hasn’t been updated since June 2016), on the EASA regulations page.

For the SEP (land) class, differences training is required for each of these variants:

• Single-engine piston (land)
  • Single-engine piston (land) with variable pitch propellers (VP)
  • Single-engine piston (land) with retractable undercarriage (RU)
  • Single-engine piston (land) with turbo- / super-charged engines (T)
  • Single-engine piston (land) with cabin pressurisation (P)
  • Single-engine piston (land) with tail wheels (TW)
  • Single-engine piston (land) with electronic flight instrument system (EFIS)
  • Single-engine piston (land) with single lever power control (SLPC)

These are not disjoint sets because an aeroplane model could belong to more than one variant. Note the 2 year recency requirement in FCL.710 doesn’t apply to SEP/TMG.

Concerning logging of the training: CRI/FI is pic, I log it as „dual“?

Yes, or as pilot under training. The applicable rules will be those established by your competent authority.

Last Edited by Qalupalik at 10 Mar 16:20
London, United Kingdom

Thank you!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Does „instructor“/„FI“ in this context have to be an EASA FI, and does EASA differences training fall under the „limitations of the underlying licence“ mentioned in the FAA 61.75 certificate (based on a foreign licence)?

In other words, if I want to rent a MEP model in the US that I haven‘t flown during the last two years in EASA land, will the US checkout count as differences training and/or do I actually need it?

Differences training must be given in the form of a training course (syllabus & breakdown of theory/flying training) by the holder of an appropriate instructor certificate issued in accordance with Subpart J of Part-FCL, eg an FI or CRI. The basis for this requirement is Article 20 of the Basic Regulation.

The Part-FCL point FCL.710 requirement for differences training does not apply while exercising the privileges of a US pilot certificate including a restricted one issued in accordance with 14 CFR 61.75. This is addressed in the interpretation from the Office of the Chief Counsel for FAA to Andrew Krausz.

London, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

Cirrus SR22: Single Power Lever, Efis
Cirrus SR22T: Single Power Lever, Efis, Turbocharged

AFAIU the Cirri are VP and not SLPC. For one thing they still have the manual mixture control, the other is that there is no automatic control of throttle and pitch. The “single power lever” is a traditional throttle which also controls rpm.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Thanks airborne

always learning
LO__, Austria

Qalupalik wrote:

by the holder of an appropriate instructor certificate issued in accordance with Subpart J of Part-FCL

At this point I said to my self “what were they thinking”…

Qalupalik wrote:

requirement for differences training does not apply

Then relieved to see that me flying an Aztec in the US was not illegal after only training on a Seneca in Europe.

So I guess you can have flown 100s of hours in the US on some ME plane, but when you come back to Europe you still need to get differences training to be allowed to fly the same plane under the privileges of your EASA licence?

The US position is similar insomuch as the high performance and complex aeroplane endorsement can’t be made under the authority of a Part-FCL instructor certificate.

The wording of paragraph (b) in point FCL.710 will be changed to accept experience gained in the recent 2 years without reference to the time elapsed since receiving differences training. This means recent experience may be obtained, for Part-FCL purposes, simply by exercising the relevant privileges of a third-country or national licence.

Initial differences training will be required for Part-FCL purposes.

Last Edited by Qalupalik at 11 Mar 19:53
London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message