Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stratux ADS-B Receiver

I tried the attitude indicator a few times but I never got it to work accurately. In my opinion at the current state it is just a useless gimmick. As for FLARM reception alternatives there is the uAvionix skyEcho (You have to disable ADS-B out outside of the UK and inside controlled airspace). It has FLARM support, however so far it only works with SkyDemon and you have to pay a yearly fee to enable FLARM (license fees to the FLARM company). However, I doubt that the reception is better than with the Stratux since the antenna is not tuned for FLARM (but for UAT) and it is smaller and inside the case. Even the developers doubt good receiption cf.: https://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=110491

Keep in mind that the FLARM range generally is very limited due to the transmit power restrictions in the 868Mhz band. This problem has been discussed multiple times here and in other forums. To get “good” FLARM reception you probably need an external antenna.

Last Edited by PepperJo at 06 Apr 20:16
Switzerland

Thank you @PepperJo for the GitHub, I will give it a try! Did you tune the 978 antenna to 868 or did you buy another one?

Last Edited by greg_mp at 06 Apr 21:32
LFMD, France

Thank you @PepperJo for the GitHub, I will also give it a try!
The weather dat from EDNY could be of interest as I am flying in the south of Germany mainly. I didn’t know there were already some station broadcasting weather data in Europe.
For FLARM do you recommend to replace the 978 MHz antenna or is it possible to add a 868?

@grep_mp I am quite surprised from what you’re telling me. When I look at Flightradar24 or ADSBExchange I can see almost all aircrafts here in Germany (at least all I am looking for, even some eurofighter). So I thought lots of aircraft are now equipped with ADSB OUT. Is there maybe a different regulation here in Germany or in France? Or am I misunderstanding the way those sites get their data from?

EDMG, Germany

ADS-B OUT is required on larger aircraft, so FR24 is full of passenger jets etc. It is light GA where the participation is still very low.

There is a move to make ADS-B OUT mandatory but it is only for >250kt or >5700kg, IIRC. That would also be certified ADS-B OUT.

Two threads on the Stratux merged.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thank you @Peter

ADS-B OUT is required on larger aircraft

I guess you speak about EASA rule so no reason this should be any different in France or in Germany.
It means that with ADSB IN I will see at least what’s on FR24 or ADSB Exchange (or at least what is in the range of detection)?
If this is the case this is for me a sufficient reason to try a Stratux at a reasonable price.

EDMG, Germany

How FR24 works.

FR24 shows Mode S and ADS-B OUT emitters.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

greg_mp wrote:

Did you tune the 978 antenna to 868 or did you buy another one?

I replaced the 978 antenna with this one: https://www.bastelgarage.ch/lora-868-mhz-antenne
There are also a few vendors which sell dedicated FLARM antennas, e.g. http://www.air-store.eu/epages/AIRStore-LuftfahrtbedarfundAvionik.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectPath=%2FShops%2FAIRStore-LuftfahrtbedarfundAvionik%2FCategories%2FVerkehr%2FPowerFLARM%2FAntennen
Anything with a SMA connector should work.

Valtime wrote:

The weather dat from EDNY could be of interest as I am flying in the south of Germany mainly.

Keep in mind that currently that is just an ongoing trial for the AERO and will probably only be available until the end of the year, cf.: https://www.euroga.org/forums/maintenance-avionics/4408-ads-b-weather-for-europe-merged?page=8

Valtime wrote:

For FLARM do you recommend to replace the 978 MHz antenna or is it possible to add a 868?

As explained above, I replaced mine I don’t know if there would be enough space to add another USB SDR to get all 3 UAT, ES and FLARM.

Valtime wrote:

It means that with ADSB IN I will see at least what’s on FR24 or ADSB Exchange

As the link Peter posted explains you won’t be able to see Mode-S/C traffic since FR24 uses MLAT to show Mode-S/C traffic (Which typically is not very accurate anyways).

Switzerland

Valtime wrote:

It means that with ADSB IN I will see at least what’s on FR24 or ADSB Exchange (or at least what is in the range of detection)?

ADS-B range is generally pretty good since transmit power is much higher (10th of nm).

Last Edited by PepperJo at 07 Apr 09:11
Switzerland

I am planning on building a Stratux but if someone has one they are looking to sell I’d be interested in buying it. It needs to have the AHRS module or at least be in a case with room for me to add it.

Sweden

Cttime wrote:

I am planning on building a Stratux but if someone has one they are looking to sell I’d be interested in buying it. It needs to have the AHRS module or at least be in a case with room for me to add it.

Try asking in the the Stratux slack: http://slack.stratux.me/
Generally if you need any kind of support there is quite an active community there.

Switzerland
Sign in to add your message