Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Steep approaches (in VMC) - do you fly them, and why, or why not?

I can also not understand how they can not hear that warning!

Hearing is the first sense to shut down when you’re under pressure.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Might be true, but where’s the pressure? These guys were no beginners and I see no reason why they shoukd have been under much pressure.

I think that famous Youtube gear up video is irrelevant to this thread. I have started a new one here on gear-up landings.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“steep” is not really defined, is it? Still, I think I fly my approaches steeper than most pilots. Actually I was taught to always be prepared for an engine outage, so never fly “powered” approaches. I always come in fairly high, getting rid of excess altitude in a side-slip with the engine idling. Never understood why certain pilots want to do “powered” finals – what is their plan B when the engine quits on final?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

A normal ILS glideslope is between 3 and 3.3 degrees, a very steep (and very rare one) like to London City is 5.8 degrees. So there are some definitions, although these are mostly for IFR approaches. VFR you can do it anyway you’re happy, of course. Depends on the airplane too.

Here’s a good example of a steep approach in the DA42-VI, showing how quickly the remaining energy dissipates in the flare from a no-power approach.

A power setting of 10% approximates a feathered prop on the DA42, while 0% turns the props into a giant speedbrake.

I was told during PPL training that landing before the threshold is equal to an off airport landing.

landing before the threshold is equal to an off airport landing.

Apparently not an alien concept to the Diamond test pilots…

These “hi, this is Paul Berterelli giving uncritical and non substantial feedback from the cockpit in terrible audio quality” videos are not among my favorites

The DA42 landing is clearly outside. Not a good demonstration. While this might sound like nitpicking I’d rather see test pilots flying in a precise way.

Sign in to add your message