Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Some info on the DA42

I believe that on a 737 the autopilot disconnects when one engine fails – is that true?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’d be surprised. Plenty of alarms sounding and flashing no doubt, but an A/P disconnect?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Peter

Not totally true the 737 autopilot drops out if the aircraft is vastly out of trim or the electrics fail, if the right autopilot is connected and the right engine fails the generator drops off line and the autopilot follows following the electrical failure.

As two autopilots are required for an autoland and have to be connected to independent electrical supplies if the electrics fail on one side you loose both autopilots.

Usually the first thing you know about an engine failure on an LVP approach is when the autopilot drops out………….. A single engine GA from 50 ft on a CAT3 approach sorts the men from the boys !

Jason C.
There is a very nice one in Slovania, look at www.planecheck

Peter
Many people overlook the Twin Comanche, with tip tanks it will also have good range.

Diamond just announced that it will also offer the “Continental” 2.0 S Diesel as a retrofit option.

http://www.diamond-air.at/news_detail+M5f05d186ae5.html

Interesting and good news for TDI 1.7 and 2.0 owners. It is less powerful than the Austro, but lighter and also more favorable in terms of CoG.
I suspect the performance will be quite similar to the Austro equipped DA42 NG. Actually in terms of runway performance it could even be better..

The price of the mod should be a lot less than a Austro conversion, because there is no need to beef up the landing gear, change the prop, change the instrument panel (fuel pump switches) nor presumably change the cowlings for instance.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

That’s fantastic news! (& quite unexpected)

The DA42Tdi owners have been neglected far too long. This will also help the resale market.

Looks like they’ll even retrofit the on-board weather radar! Maybe they’ll also retrofit some of the DA42-VI’s aerodynamic enhancements – we’ll see…

I knew they would do that one day. It just makes so much sense and the company needs money more than driving an agenda. I would even say the Centurion 2.0S version will outperform the Austro version.

Well, after all, Thielert is not Thielert any more. Frank has gone (hence, Dries’ main bogeyman), the name has gone, and the product has also evolved quite a bit.

It will still be interesting to see how the prices of a 2.0s upgrade vs. an Austro upgrade compare…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 04 Apr 07:49
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Initial info I got was 120k€ for everything including two new 2.0s engines. However, this was before Diamond stepped in. Now it could be much more.

Last Edited by Emir at 04 Apr 07:08
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Any idea whether on an an N-reg DA42 it is possible to run a 1.7 or 2.0 beyond TBR for private operations?

EGTF, LFMD
Sign in to add your message