Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham (EGKA) to Toussus Le Noble (LFPN) via Le Harve to visit Versailles

The semi-circular rule in France has always been and is still to fly even flight levels westbound, and odd levels eastbound. A mnemonic in French is: P = Pair = Portugal, I = Impair = Italie. If you fly towards Portugal, you need an even (pair) flight level. For VFR, add 500 ft.

The IFR routes are indeed organized in a way that differentiates between northbound and southbound routes, but at least on the official chart, this is achieved by declaring each route that deviates from the semicircular rule with an E> symbol. I think Jeppesen may do this differently and state it on the chart legend as a general rule. But this does not alter the semi-circular rule as such.

So there was and is no contradiction with SERA either.

Patrick wrote:

Not need to list Switzerland and Norway as exceptions – they are part of the Schengen area.

And Liechtenstein is missing, I think. ;)

achimha wrote:

France is in violation of SERA, still?

SERA gives the “competent authority” the option of specifying different cruising levels. As do the ICAO Rules of the Air.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Here’s the appropriate AIP section for France.

AIP France ENR 1.7

It’s based East/West track, like everywhere else (except possibly still the UK?)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Indeed. ENR 1.7.7. So from now on I will disregard the rule on the cover of the Jeppesen chart :-)

LFPT, LFPN

Patrick,

Patrick wrote:

Not need to list Switzerland and Norway as exceptions – they are part of the Schengen area.

They are but they do need customs.

I am happy to read that Toussous is still open to traffic from Switzerland, I thought it was not.

Rwy20 wrote:

And Liechtenstein is missing, I think. ;)

I think Liechtenstein is EU….

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 26 Aug 22:18
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I think Liechtenstein is EU….

Liechtenstein is a member of the European Free Trade Association, and, while not a member of the European Union, the country participates in both the Schengen Area and European Economic Area. It also has a customs union and a monetary union with Switzerland.

Does Liechtenstein have any airports?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Only a heliport. Liechtenstein is featured in the list of countries without an airport. It’s the last real dictatorship in Europe.

Actually I just realized with the 2003 constitution it’s no longer a full blown dictatorship. Hans-Adam can still dissolve the parliament at will but a referendum can overturn that. Too bad, the last dictatorship gone!

Last Edited by achimha at 27 Aug 07:17
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message