Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Servicing of GA aircraft instruments

Hello to all,

We have some aircraft instruments, including radios which need to be serviced. I would like to know of any european shops where we can send them for overhaul.

appreciate all the feedback with thanks

LMML

You need to list specific types of instruments and radios you want to have serviced because shops have so-called capability lists. These are lists of equipment models they are authorised to service and what they can do with them (ramp testing, shop testing, repair, exchange). If a given model is not on the capability list, the shop may physically be able to overhaul it but it cannot issue EASA Form 1 to certify it as airworthy.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 18 Jan 11:23
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I have the below for servicing:

x2 Collins Comm VHF251-TSO
x2 Collins Nav VIR251-TSO
davtron 307FC temperature display

EASA form 1 will be required after servicing.

LMML

If you need stuff to be repaired, there are many small shops around, but they cannot issue an EASA-1 form.

If you need an EASA-1 then it has to be done by an EASA145 company which has that box on their authorised list. There aren’t many in Europe and probably none I would recommend based on reports…

Navcomm Avionics in Bournemouth UK might be able to do it. I don’t know their latest status but they did good work for me. Give them a call.

Some non EASA145 companies can get an EASA-1 form generated by “borrowing” somebody else’s 145 approval There is quite a lot of that going on… but if the repaired box works, it’s all good because you have the paperwork

You don’t give any clue about your location in the world, navygm, so it’s hard to recommend any more, but I guess it is probably EASA-land.

As a result of the European situation a lot of people send stuff to the USA but the shipping is expensive.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

If you need an EASA-1 then it has to be done by an EASA145 company which has that box on their authorised list.

There is no need of a Part 145 to make an EASA Form 1.
Smaller shop usually have a Part-M subpart F approval and can recertify components within their field of approval and make the appropriate EASA Form 1.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 18 Jan 18:03

Collins radios are very good. Some will say these are low value items but I think if you can get away with them for your application keep using them. I’ve used Avionicare in southend who did good work. In the US alot of people say Lafayette Avionics are the best value. Some big shops in US are very expensive for repairs and only really want new installations and sales which I can understand.

I sold a Davtron to someone for 35 Euro I think recently so I’d not be spending big bucks on that.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

There is no need of a Part 145 to make an EASA Form 1.
Smaller shop usually have a Part-M subpart F approval and can recertify components within their field of approval and make the appropriate EASA Form 1.

OK; it is perhaps similar to this. Not many people know about this!

There is a lot of Davtron instruments on US Ebay, though obviously without an EASA-1

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks all for the prompt replies…

I have sent an email to the companies mentioned above to check their capability. I think I wond need an EASA form 1 after the servicing as the aircraft they are fitted to is a private one so probably he can do without the forms. I have to confirm this beforehand.

Apologies for my empty details on my profile, now its updated.

I live in Malta and I’m an airline avionics licenced engineer, also working on GA aircraft in my free time.

LMML
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message