Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Security on AirB&B (and other sites)

As a follow up.

The only positive thing about this, “give us everything” is the fact they have an actual US phone number. Which does not have a merry go round phone tree. You can actually talk to someone.

So I asked that my account which I had since 2018 be removed and all personal data scrubbed. I wish I could have had Hillary Clinton oversee those activities. But I cant, she is hiding in Ireland somewhere avoiding a defamation lawsuit subpoena. But that aside, she the Air B&B rep was very nice and said sure we will get it done. I asked, please send me an email that it was done. Which she acknowledged.

But before I hung up, I asked why they couldnt use my profile picture to confirm my identity and compare it to the drivers license since this was an active account. Gibberish for an answer.

My bank asks for the same info when I speak to a rep which makes me more worried that companies like AIr B&B have such detailed knowledge of you.

Dont forget the powers that be are now using facial recognition to track people. Gee I wonder how Adolf would have made use of such advanced technology?

The end result, I booked with Booking.com for 81 Euros near Ravensburg 12km 16 mins from the Aero.

All is well as long as my data is deleted.

KHTO, LHTL

This is a follow-up letter I got from Air B&B. Notice they cover themselves by saying perhaps not all the information will be deleted form their company. What information wont be deleted, SS number? DOB? Address? CC info? I mean seriously! Even if they are legit your data is not secure. This is just information for the rest of you that do use this companies services.

“Thank you for your email dated February 3, 2020.

We understand that you would like to delete all your personal data pursuant to data protection law. Please understand that this means that we will no longer be able to provide our services to you.

As you have provided us with sufficient documentation to prove your identity, we’ve started to review your request. Airbnb will process your request to delete your data to the extent the law(s) permit or require us to retain that data. For example, we retain data that is necessary for complying with laws to which we are subject, for exercising the right of freedom of expression and information (such as the content of reviews), and for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims (such as information relating to disputes).
Processing your request will take some time, but as a first step, we have deactivated your account. To learn more about what account deactivation means, see our help center article:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/240

Any pending reservations you had are canceled. Please note that you will not be able to reactivate your account.

Unless we inform you that we require more time, it will take up to one month from the date of your initial authenticated request for us to finish processing your deletion request.

You will not hear from us again regarding your deletion request (unless we are unable to process your request or where you have, for example, an unresolved dispute, or a reservation you’ve booked is still within the 60 day period in which a resolution center request may be submitted by you or another user).

If you don’t hear from us, you can take it that your deletion request has been actioned and your data has been deleted.

We also recommend that you clear cookies from your browser(s), as some personal data may be contained in those cookies. If you use the Airbnb mobile app, you will also need to delete that app from your mobile devices to clear any personal data stored locally on them.

Apart from communications relating to your request, you also should not receive any further communications from Airbnb at the email address associated with your Airbnb account. If you do receive such communications, please let us know and we will promptly correct it.

Kind regards,

Brian
www.airbnb.com/help"

KHTO, LHTL

Funny enough, I just had Facebook ask me to go through an ID process in order to place a company ad and that process included scanning both side of my driver’s licence. Afterwards I wondered if that was a sensible thing to do…..

Forever learning
EGTB

My FB account got apparently hacked a few days ago.

Hacking is gonna be the world’s second oldest profession.

Be very wary of any popular site asking you to change your password etc. And absolutely use different passwords on each one, and different ones again for anything important like banking.

Nowadays every dick with time to spare is working through the various leaked/stolen lists of logins (these have the email and the password) and is plugging the email into all the usual sites. Often the password works! But if it doesn’t, they click on the forgotten password / password reset button to see if some questions are presented which enable social engineering (place of birth etc). This results in an email to you asking you to reset your password. You need to ignore this and especially do not click on any links in that email. Unfortunately, eventually, that site will block your account due to too many failed attempts. That’s why I suggest using different email addresses (or login IDs, usernames, whatever) for different sites, as well as obviously different passwords.

I don’t regard airb&b and booking.com to be a huge threat in terms of hacking / losing their data. The potential for somebody trashing you financially is very limited. Yahoo and Linkedin were hacked comprehensively, yet we don’t see a surge of bank fraud. The hardest to combat fraud remains the fake email with “updated” bank details…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Its not about Hacking into your banking as it is about stealing your ID. As I mentioned they did steal my friends ID and the grief it caused was monumental and prolonged. She could not prove to them that it was not her that did the transactions. Ok thats enough of that.

So my friend who uses Air B&B gets onto their site and books by using FaceBook. Now get this, he never went through the idiotic security I went through to get a room.

I HAVE A FAKE FACEBOOK ACCOUNT CAUSE FACE BOOK IS A FARSE. I use a separate and distinct computer, only for facebook in order to make registrations to various social events. Yep, so if I had gone through facebook I would have had no ID problems verifying it was me making the phony Facebook reservation. The whole thing is so laughable but it isnt.

KHTO, LHTL

There are people here who know much more than I do about this but AIUI if you “login via facebook” you are allowing facebook to send everything it knows about you to the organisation into which you are logging in.

So logging into things using your fb login is not a good idea.

However I am amazed that you can do what you describe.

Administrator

Take what I told you to the bank.

After being encouraged by my friends to sign up to FaceBook for 2 yrs. Why? Because they were registering me as a guest of theirs to various social events. I decided to enroll in Facebook. However I heard that Facebook is very intrusive regarding tracking and data collection. So I decided
to circumvent the system by using a VPN on my computer when I installed the Facebook program. Using a fake name DOB and other information they required, I was enrolled on my Mac which I use for Banking and all other essentials that is used in our society.

I open up the program and the first thing after the Welcome to Facebook I get a request if I would like to connect with a High School friend I speak to 2 x a year and whom I email about the same amount of times. Now think it through for a moment. How did it know to ask me if I had a friend that I communicate with other than it went through my computers hard drive and opened files. I went to some computer geeks and they said it was impossible and that could not happen. But at the same time they could not explain how Facebook connected my friend to me.

So to test my theory I got a cheap computer onto which I did the exact same thing. Opened another fictitious account. This time since the hard drive had no information cause it was a new computer. It did not ask me about any past friends etc. I Added one friend I recently met though an International organization. Now it only asks me if I would like to friend people in that organization.

Facebook is a disingenuous organization and a danger to ones privacy. It went through my computer. That is a fact.

KHTO, LHTL

@C210_Flyer, Facebook started tracking you since even before you signed up. They created a “ghost profile” for you, based on which websites you visit, etc. That “like” button you see on every website allows Facebook to track who visited what (because the button image and/or Javascript code, is loaded from facebook servers, not from the website of the page you are visiting). My guess is that this is how they connected you to that person… a high school reunion webpage, something like that?

When you signed up, they connected your account to the “ghost profile”, that’s all.

Or that “register you as guest to their Facebook event” thing? Do they enter your email address in Facebook to do that? Do you get an email from Facebook that you got registered as guest? That email most probably contains a tracker.

ELLX

Facebook is much more complex than most realise.

For example if I do a search for your name, especially a number of times, FB will eventually present me to you under the “people you may know” suggestions. You may think how the hell did FB make the connection, since you have not been in contact with that person since you were at school… well, it didn’t. It was the other person who helped them find you.

Hence I get lots of people pop up in that list who could not possibly have my contact details.

Never done FB events or anything like that. I use FB for keeping in touch with friends, and exchanging non PC jokes

One should not use one’s full name on FB. Mis-spell the surname, at least. Since they bought Whatsapp they have a large chunk of the world’s mobile numbers with their real full names attached…

Administrator

lionel wrote:

Or that “register you as guest to their Facebook event” thing? Do they enter your email address in Facebook to do that? Do you get an email from Facebook that you got registered as guest? That email most probably contains a tracker.

Nope never did that or ever did anything with Fakebook other than what I described. But since I go on with a specific computer and nothing else I have not been accosted by FaceBook ever since.

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message