Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SE-EXW Beech B55 Info Following 2016 Accident in Cambridgeshire.

I’m helping the new owner of this B55 Baron SE-EXW that crashed Cambridgeshire.

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=192842

Peculiar set of circumstances, I don’t the AAIB report was accurate on the number of POB at the time of it’s landing. The mission may have been a little bit…..grey shall we say. The damaged aircraft was purchased and the new owner cannot get the Swedish CAA to release any maintenance data. The previous owner is not co-operating. Through the small circle of GA, has anyone got any information that would help the owner get the change of ownership through.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Hmmm. Any information the Swedish CAA has should be public. But it is possible that they don’t have any maintenance data.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

William, couple of anomalies here. Doubtful if the Swedish CAA would have maintenance records. The aircraft log books are the domain for that information. Where are they? They should have been available pre purchase. Log books should always accompany the aeroplane.

The value of any plane is in the log book records. Technically worthless without these.

You then suggest that change of ownership is the hurdle. Who owns it currently? Was it subject to a seizure order? If so, the appointed liquidator would then handle all documents. Something not quite adding up.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I’ve had an airplane that was ex. Swedish and the records were meticulous and each year there was data sent on a form giving total hours etc. If you only had the total number of hours on the airframe/engine/props verified from a competent authority you could in worse case start new logbooks for each. Really I’m looking to see if there is someone familiar with the individual aircraft, or its past owner, or Swedish operated aircraft that could shed some light. All it would take would be someone to say, yes I remember that plane it used to be based at XXXX and was maintained by such and such. A time limited task statement from it’s former maintenance organisation would be ideal.

I’m familiar with the procedure here, aircraft is seized. Books not available and nobody has any motivation to produce them. It was the same with N15NH that was impounded in Seething. The P210N in Belfast was not much different. The new owners choices are to a) Start new books from known data or b) Motivate the logs to appear.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Don’t you have to apply all ADs that might be hours or calendar life related?

Putting it another way, take a hypothetical case of an SR22 with no logs and no idea whether it is 9 years or 11 years since new, and the factory has gone bust and records have been lost. Don’t you have to get the chute done? There are numerous stories, some of which may even be true, that whole airliners (presumably fairly old ones) were scrapped because of a paperwork mess-up on stuff like landing gear paperwork.

I would be more concerned about some outstanding bills, because somebody doing dodgy stuff in one department is likely doing it in other departments. You might get impounded somewhere.

UK AAIB report

Google/images shows a number of pics, spanning something like 2008-2016, but far fewer than I would expect for a plane that flies a fair bit. The number of pics I see is roughly what I would expect for a hangar queen that gets dragged out a few times a year.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Did a bit on google there and it says the aircraft has over 10k hours time in service. Yes you would have to start a new AD report and comply with all those all over again, but that might not be impossible. Ideally the last maintenance organisation would give you copies of their workpacks for last annual and you’d get an AD compliance report there.

The AAIB report is one story I guess. Surprising the rudder was working fine when he landed i believe

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

I know nothing about this a/c, but why would anyone buy an airplane w/o papers (other than for parting out) ? Just curious.

The aircraft was based at ESSP up until it was sold I guess. I was not aware of it being sold actually. I might know of the guy who did the maintenance but I am not sure if I can get a hold of him.

You could call a CAMO person named Sofia Pettersson at SofiaCAMO. I would guess that she may have been the CAMO for it while it was on Swedish register. This is only a hunch though, based on that she seems to do some CAMO work in the vicinity. Another possible previous CAMO for it might be Håkan Johansson at IAPS. If he was not the CAMO, I am 100% certain that he will know who managed it. If not, get back here again and I can give you some more hints.

Good luck and it would be interesting to hear how this turns out. I hope it gets back in the air.

Last Edited by Fly310 at 09 Feb 21:55
ESSZ, Sweden

why would anyone buy an airplane w/o papers

People buy planes without a prebuy, all the time And the logbooks which were “in the post” after the money was paid don’t always turn up.

Often, you see a plane you really want and “fall in love with it” but the seller is behaving like a dick, with illiterate comms, really obvious lies, etc… some sellers may do this deliberately.

And sometimes the price is low enough, or it is a type you really want.

Have you never done that with a woman? People aren’t always rational.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

An update. The reason I bought Baron SE-EXW was because it had an unhappy landing opposite my house, but it is a classic and had to be saved! It was uninsured, had racked up the farmer’s parking charges, and needed repair and refurbishment. The plastic barrel of fuel where the middle seats should have been tells a story!! I cleared the debt and paid for the docs. Unfortunately, there is a gap between 2006 and 2016, though we have maintenance schedules for 2016. The pilot of the ill-fated flight cannot be contacted as it seems he is ‘indisposed’.

The aircraft is now in good order, but, although now on the UK register, the lack of continual documentation prevents UK certification. A recent exchange with the previous owner indicates that the missing docs were with the pilot who had the unfortunate arrival in the UK and are ‘not accessible’.

The plan is to seek re-registration under a different country regime. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for all your help.

WilliamB

United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message