Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Scud Running

As a sidenote a Swiss based Mustang was lost trying the Canyon Turn

P51 or C510? Hard to believe with the first …

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

A turn in a canyon has nothing to do with the “Box Canyon Turn” bush flying maneuver. Also it cannot be done in a Mustang, not in a 510 and not in a P51.

You are right. I thought Plzen was IFR.

Only Karlovy Vary then, which is not as nicely on the route.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Jul 12:31
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Well, turn-in-a-valley if you wish. Semantics.

Here is the accident report: http://www.sust.admin.ch/pdfs/AV-berichte//1695.pdf
1695_pdf

Yes, i could fly to Prague and descend on their ILS but that’s 15 minutes farther east than my destination.

15 minutes farther east + another 15 minutes back is still only half the time it takes you to try one valley after the other.
Your 1000ft /1.5NM minimum sounds good though. However in a fast plane, the slightest distraction (like looking up a frequency, talking to someone, looking at charts, entering waypoints, …) will make you cover significant distances without much looking out.

Personally I don’t enjoy this kind of flying and what I don’t enjoy, I try to avoid. Rather break clouds at some instrument airfield or cancel overhead the field and descend through the hole in the cloud that only you can see.

EDDS - Stuttgart

There are no IFR aiports between LKKV and LKPR/LKVO.
Back to the original question- My recent exposure to scud running was back in June. I was aware of some rain patches with potentially lower clouds. Looking at the GPS logger later there was a time I was 200-300 ft AGL and this is not comfortable to be honest – I am fine with 500ft but this was too much. Apart from not being legal. Visibility was 5-6 km which kept me going. But I have plan B and C. Plan B was to turn south where cloud were at least 800 ft AGL if not above, Plan C was left climbing turn to 4000 ft to the east where I was comming from – OAT was 10°C so I would be ok from icing and it would take just few minutes to be in CAVOK weather again. Bottom line – when I parked and looked above – I would not depart into such conditions.
That reminds me – years ago when flying a very slot motorglider (60kts) lower and lower to stay clear of clouds I found myself wishing to slowdown as I do not have enough forward visibility It was lucky to wake up that moment and turn back. I guess the visibility was something 1-2 km but I´d rather forget about that…

LKKU, LKTB

Of course you are right. But since i will never lower than my limits and always have a way out … well with the EGPWS system on the MFD the risk to fly into a mountain is low … if there’s something higher than you and in front of you it starts screaming at you “do not descen!”.. “terrain! pull up!”

Although these warnings come very early i never had one – except on low approaches.

The more i fly IFR though the more i lose my old bush flying qualities … it feels less " natural" now than it did when i was still VFR only ,..

No, sorry, the “box canyon turn” is a precision bush flying maneuver – and has nothing to do with the generic term “turning in a canyon”

When we talk about very different things, then that’s not semantics :-)

If I knew the area along the route and was 100% sure of the wx OR was happy with an ILS somewhere where I would actually like to spend a night, and icing etc was not an issue, I would fly with a 700ft AGL cloudbase.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Good topic.

In my first twin I built up the resistance by stupidity. I caught myself out many times with not enough options. I can say that the class G minima here of 1 mile visibility is way below my comfort level these days, but I have done it. I would say that 3 mile and 1000ft ceilings are my minima today.

Sign in to add your message