Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Routings via middle Austria no longer possible?

I am trying to get the one in red

but nothing seems to work. An examination of the airway structure there shows that they have been removed

I used to fly that route regularly… I wonder if @caba knows?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

FRA rules/entry points?

EGTR

Are you trying to route above the minimum available level for the sectors of the SECSI FRA that you are trying to cross? See https://eaip.austrocontrol.at/lo/210521/Charts/ENR/LO_ENR_6_8_en.pdf and https://maps.austrocontrol.at/mapstore/#/viewer/openlayers/81

Hmm… Your red line crosses both FRA part of Austria and non-FRA part. If you really insist on trying to improve on what autorouter gives you, I would try:

• As mentioned above, make sure you file high enough (minimum available level)
  • Try to enter the FRA at BIRGI, UMVEG or RTT (whichever has better airways connections from the portion of your flight coming before).
  • Alternatively, go farther East over Germany and enter the FRA at some point on the North border of Austria… MODSA, RADIZ, BADIT, EXEGA, … I feel that would be the best bet, because then you avoid Italy, too, and you stay within the FRA until the Croatian border at GIRDA (then M178 PUL N606 LOS) or GEMKA (then L607 CRE W45 LOS).

Didn’t test these things, possibly the RAD will put a fly in that ointment.

Last Edited by lionel at 03 Jun 05:07
ELLX

I am not sure. The reason I was looking for a route there was to avoid buildups over the higher Alps, so I wonder if one could get such a routing if one requested a turn “to avoid” (obviously for real; not worth doing otherwise)?

Looks to me like this military area is the problem

The other strange thing is that kink near Munich. Again, this is something recent.

The flight would be on a weekend, most probably.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Looks to me like this military area is the problem

<shrug> these look like they are all active by NOTAM only, so that would be very date-dependent.

ELLX

In the past, one could route via GISER but there is now no way to go north from it (or enter it from the north) due to that huge W-E mil area

Administrator

Peter wrote:

An examination of the airway structure there shows that they have been removed

The reason is that Slovenia and Eastern Austria are free route airspace. It’s odd that you can’t get a route through it.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

An examination of the airway structure there shows that they have been removed

As expected in FRA ;-)

The route you posted actually looks like if the challenge is crossing Munich airspace rather than Austria. Which level do you want to go over Munich?

Germany

@Peter:
This is the route EDFZ-LDLO I have prepared for next month using ForeFlight.

IFR NONKO RID OMOGI OSBAN LAMPU Z54 NOMBO Y161 MAH L173 OTT/F130 M867 RADIZ INGID VILAK GIRDA PUL

It validates with Eurocontrol and lets me do the Alps crossing at FL130 max. FF only gives you a DCT from the entry to the exit point of the free route airspace and does not take the MEAs into account.
FRA starts somewhere east of Innsbruck,

Now I tried to find a way from EGKA using my routing, but it just doesn’t work, Z54 is shown as forbidden routing.
If a certain routing works for one flight it doesn’t mean it works for different departure / destination aerodromes too. The system really needs to be improved. Especially since the actual flight from the Belgium to the Austrian border will be a straight line in 95% of the cases.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

Apologies, I did not make it clear I am looking for LDLO EGKA.

As to level, FL100 plus, below FL170.

Administrator
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message