Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Revalidating/renewing my UK PPL(IMCR)?

To add the MEP Class to your licence you will need to go to an ATO and complerte a course of training then take the ground exam and flight test.

What exam, exactly, is required here?

YSCB

What exam, exactly, is required here?

It appears that since JAA changed to EASA the Class Rating exam has been replaced with theoretical training to the satisfaction of the ATO. The old JAA exam was an in house exam that really amounted to a Progress Test, albeit a bit more formal.

Am i also correct in thinking thst under easa if you mep rateing has expired.by.more than 3 years then you have to complete the whole mep course from scratch?

Last Edited by Bathman at 23 Dec 15:17

MEP Rating:

To get it, you need 6 hours of training, 7 hours theory training + a theory exam (single exam, multiple choice, held at the ATO), and a skill test. Nothing changed from JAR.

To renew it, you need training as required [as determined after an assessment], and pass the renewal test. There is some guidance about how much training might be appropriate depending on how long it has lapsed, including full course after 3 years, but this is a recommendation only and not binding. See AMC1 FCL.740(b)(1).

You are, however, at the mercy of the ATO to have a sensible programme and give you a course completion certificate.

Biggin Hill

The revalidation scene has changed over the years. I can easily see why almost nobody is doing the ME rating unless they own a twin.

And the IR revalidation has become very aggressive – 7 years off and you have to re-do everything including the exams. Search here for “keeping the JAA IR valid”. I understand this is catching out many European airline pilots who went to work in e.g. Asia or the Middle East and they allowed their JAA papers to lapse, and now when they come back “home” they find themselves shafted. I don’t know if a solution has been found.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Crying in despair I repeat after Hus:
O Sancta Simplicitas!”

I think I will continue traveling through Europe as an EasyJet passenger ….

Last Edited by ANTEK at 23 Dec 22:36
YSCB

I meant re validation. I have flown only 1h. During the second year of the licence life, ectually, as of today I am grounded as my licence has lapsed.

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message