Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Retracting flaps on touchdown to maximise braking?

Days with gusts usually have a decent wind component

Indeed, there is a wind/gust point where you would fly asymmetric faster approach on sideslip than slow steep approach on high AoA

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

For the 1981 182 RG, it is a recommended procedure in the POH (page 4-20) to retract the flaps for maximum braking. I have seen this in other Cessna retractable POH’s over the years too.

To reduce pilot error, it became a design requirement in the 60’s that the landing gear selector must be located to the left of the engine controls, and have a wheel shaped knob, and the flap selector be located to the right of the engine controls, and have a flap shaped knob. I’m not staying this prevents errors, but its the best attempt.

Good pilot practice, particularly for multi engine planes, and particularly when hands start flying around during emergencies, is to place your hand on the intended control, and before moving it, feel the knob shape, note which control it is (particularly left or right for multi’s) and state “X identified, selecting Y position” out loud. This creates a pause in the hands flying around, and allows your mind to include what’s really happening/going to happen, and perhaps re think it, if a knob selection error has been made.

Whenever I land an RG, and reach for the flap selector at any point, I’ll state: “Flaps identified, retracting” then move the knob. So far, so good…

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Pilot_DAR wrote:

the 1981 182 RG, it is a recommended procedure in the POH

Same on 1978 P210

Antonio
LESB, Spain
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message