Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Reckless flying

Many times we attribute accidents to the human factor, where reckless flying has been employed, but how many times do we hear about non-accidents that could have ended up badly? I guess it is a kind of bias, non-accidents are never, or very rarely, investigated, right?

Anyway, check out this video. I started watching the video with a positive attitude, because I wanted to learn more about the Pipistrel electric plane. As the video progressed I got more and more worried until a point where I seriously wanted to jump into my screen and do something about it. Yes I know, you should never question the PIC, etc… etc… blah… blah… And yes, I know nothing about that aircraft, and the guy flying it is probably an expert with aeons of experience. But let me ask you a thing, how many times do you hear about an accident where they don’t say: “He was an expert, thousands of hours of experience, we don’t understand how this could have happened”?

This is a screen dump from 12:37:

Let’s analyze a few things:

1. The stall horn is sounding.
  2. Altitude is at 940 – 700 = 240 feet off the ground, compared to altitude in the beginning of the video.
  3. Bank angle is 72 degrees measured with protractor on my screen.
  4. There is nose up attitude.
  5. Green arc ends at 44 KIAS. Vs1 (I don’t see any flaps deployed) at 72 degrees bank angle is 44 * sqrt( 1/cos(72) ) = 79 KIAS.
  6. Current speed is 64 KIAS.
  7. The corrective manouvre to get out of the steep turn generates even more drag on the low wing which is at risk of stalling and entering spin.

How many items need to add up before the luck bucket runs out? Why is it ok to endanger passengers life like this when one has vast amounts of experience?

Last Edited by Dimme at 23 Oct 08:11
ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

Yes I know, you should never question the PIC

I’d say the opposite. Always question everybody. First and foremost yourself.

As to the video, I don’t know if it’s smart or not. It looks like fun and excitement. Maybe a bit dangerous too.

If there’s somebody onboard that doesn’t know the risks it might be reckless, yes.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I meant in the sense that as a passenger in the cockpit it should be clear who is the PIC.

ESME, ESMS

You need to bet all your life on engine and millimeters of rudder inputs, the slightest change in sound or coordination and bang !! it looks obvious behind my computer screen but not when you are in the middle of the fun

Most of us (including me) will not even notice that they are unconsciously pulling the stick beyond a 45 degrees of bank at that height, let alone appreciate the increase of stall speed or unloading the wings, I guess the “right picture” on that snapshot is probably 9/10 ground and 1/10 sky, or 10/10 ground to be “safe”?

Dimme wrote:

The corrective manouvre to get out of the steep turn generates even more drag on the low wing which is at risk of stalling and entering spin

There are no corrective moanouevre at that snapshot height, assuming you are not inverted which can have in a split of a second, the best you can do is to take zero Gs (zero drag and zero stall speed) and hope for the best?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I have heard that all-electric airplanes can not stall. ;)

Jokes aside, there are many videos of “non-standard” flying and it is always hard to know the true nature of a particular flight. Sometimes it is obvious that it was just reckless, sometimes not.

ESSZ, Sweden

Business as usual I would say

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

An accident in a similar aircraft, sadly fatal:

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/2/airlines/elektrisch-vliegtuig-stort-neer-in-provincie-groningen

Last Edited by Berto at 23 Oct 18:09
EBZW

@Berto – If you are going to make statements like that please check your facts first. 2 different aircraft, 2 different pilots.

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 23 Oct 17:18
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

You’re right, sorry. Post edited.

EBZW

Crop dusters turn steeply at low altitude all day, every work day, to make their living. I assume they know what they’re doing or don’t do it for long. Good flying starting at about 3:45.

This one has more flying and less Mississippi accented talk. It gets pretty good starting at about 5:30.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 24 Oct 04:43
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message