Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Radar vectors to a GPS/RNAV approach

@JasonC

Not just non-precision. In some ways I like the GPS preventing ad-hoc approach activation. Prevents temptation to cut corners ie a short final which can happen with ILS and other ground based approaches.

INDEED.

Preventing unauthorised modifications to pre-programmed routines (i.e. approach sequences) has been an integral part of certification for every modern airbourne GNSS installation.

YSCB

confirming one's alttitude while passing over FAF is mandatory.

Mandated by what regulation? Any other distance to go is as good as the FAF for confirming the altitude, just as with the shortened ILS. Not every aircraft needs a ten mile final for flying a stabilised approach.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Can one manually change the scale to 0.3nm on a Garmin box?

I don't think so. The scale is set by the mode the GPS is in.

EGTK Oxford

@JasonC

....with a GPS approach is that you know more easily where you are ie on the final approach segment after the FAF and before the MAPT. With that knowledge you could safely descend to the MDA....

Yes, but you do not know whether you can trust your barometric altimetry when you arrive over the MAPt....

YSCB

Mandated by what regulation? Any other distance to go is as good as the FAF for confirming the altitude, just as with the shortened ILS. Not every aircraft needs a ten mile final for flying a stabilised approach.

I think he was referring to NPAs without vertical guidance ie LNAV not precision approaches.

EGTK Oxford

Yes, but you do not know whether you can trust your barometric altimetry when you arrive over the MAPt....

So I am flying an LNAV approach. I cross the FAF at say 3000 on some QNH. How does that help me trust it at the MAPT? Of course it is different if I have vertical guidance but you said I didn't.

EGTK Oxford

@what next

Please imagine that you are being vectored to a 6-mile final of the RNAV approach depicted in post #27. Please, describe in detail your actions, including your altitude checks and your management of "automation"....

YSCB

So going back to bosco's question on the RNAV09 to EDDR. In the G1000 simulator, VTF on that approach activates an extended centreline from PETID to the IF ie an offset.

EGTK Oxford

@JasonC #48

Could you, please, try now (after activating VTF) to "manually" intercept the final segment (anywhere between PETID and RW09)....Would your G1000 sim accept it?

YSCB

It is possible to change the CDI sensitivity on the Garmin 430W (and I think the original 430).

The default is AUTO, but in the Aux Setup One page (the third page of the Aux options), you can select which scale you want. It's on page 170 of the manual. 0.3 is the most sensitive option.

I had an instructor recently show me, when I was mentioning using the GPS OBS instead of the ADF.

Sign in to add your message