Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Product liability in GA

Back on topic: how can Cirrus be spending 1/3 of annual production to pay for product liability?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Personally, I don’t believe it. I could perhaps believe that that is how much certification and liability insurance and provisions cost.

EGSC

They could easily be spending that. A US airframe manufacturer has enormous potential liability.

EGTK Oxford

What are current Cirrus sales in $?

They could easily be spending that. A US airframe manufacturer has enormous potential liability.

Can you put some figures on that Jason?

Last Edited by Peter at 05 Jun 20:50
Administrator

From the 2013 GAMA report, Cirrus sales in 2013 were $180,400,278

http://www.gama.aero/files/documents/2013ShipmentReportAH02192014.pdf

EGSC

That is a lot less than I thought. Clearly business is pretty depressed right now.

I would guess the gross profit would be c. 100M. Have there been payouts worth 30M? That would be a lot of crashes with big injuries or fatalities, for a start.

Administrator
- That is a lot less than I thought. Clearly business is pretty depressed right now.

Figures lie. Flying has never been this cheap and booming

- I would guess the gross profit would be c. 100M. Have there been payouts worth 30M? That would be a lot of crashes with big injuries or fatalities, for a start

Question is, have there been 30M payouts EVERY year?

I have the impression that Cirrus is following a strategy of limiting production and concentrating on GM per aircraft rather than trying to sell as many planes as they can.

As a single data point, Cirrus Europe have a G5 turbo for sale that is over $1M including tax. (No “gulp!” smilie available )

I’ll be buying it as soon as the nice man in Nigeria sends me the money he has promised….

EGSC

I would guess the gross profit would be c. 100M. Have there been payouts worth 30M? That would be a lot of crashes with big injuries or fatalities, for a start.

I don’t think so. That’s why I suggested that it would probably include certification costs which would include both the new G5 and ongoing work on the jet.

EGSC

OK, may well be that, but that’s not what he apparently said. He said product liability costs 1/3 of the year’s production.

Maybe there is a PL provision one can make in the accounts, which is allowable against corporation tax. Is that really possible, on this huge scale? If you were doing that, eventually it will come back and bite you because one day you will end up with a vast provision for a liability which has not materialised and is obviously never likely to.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message