Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pilot looking for a Part66 licence : which category ?

Peter wrote:

The whole aviation theory system is one giant BS-treadmill, designed by people who never flew (or repaired) a kite, and whose primary job is to keep the entry into the profession relatively hard

And to make the system so complex that “continuous improvement” is required, conveniently providing a job for those who design the system

I do agree that the system described here to license mechanics is massively over-engineered if the goal is to have people available to maintain light aircraft, and I don’t think the currency requirement makes any sense. Working on a Cessna is not a perishable skill.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Jun 22:40

Part 2 :
I decided to focus on B1/B3/L2 licences. B2/B2L are for deep avionic work which is infrequent and Bob can go to a shop for that.

Privileges :
A category B1.2/B3 aircraft maintenance licence shall permit the holder to issue certificates of release to service following: − maintenance performed on aircraft structure, powerplant and mechanical and electrical systems, − work on avionic systems requiring only simple tests
A category L aircraft maintenance licence shall permit the holder to issue certificates of release to service for the following: − maintenance performed on aircraft structure, power plant and mechanical and electrical systems; − work on radio, Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELT) and transponder systems; and − work on other avionics systems requiring simple tests
The B3 licence is applicable to piston-engine non-pressurised aeroplanes of 2 000 kg Maximum Take-off Mass (MTOM) and below.
The L2 licence is applicable to powered sailplanes and ELA1 aeroplanes (less than 1200kg)

Requirements :
B1.2 and B3 have the same requirements, apart from slightly different written tests :

• 13 written exams
  • 3 years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft, if the applicant has no previous relevant technical training;
  • or 2 years of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft and completion of training as a skilled worker, in a technical trade;
  • or 1 year of practical maintenance experience on operating aircraft and completion of a basic training course approved in accordance with Part-147

L2 has lower requirements :

• 9 written exams of another category, apparently easier
  • 2 years of practical maintenance experience in operating aircraft covering a representative cross section of maintenance activities in the corresponding subcategory
  • 1 year of practical maintenance experience in operating aircraft covering a representative cross section of maintenance activities in the corresponding subcategory, subject to the introduction of the limitation → If the applicant has only provided evidence of one-year experience in accordance with the derogation contained in point 66.A.30(a)(2b)(ii), the following limitation shall be endorsed on the licence: ‘complex maintenance tasks provided for in Appendix VII to Annex I (Part-M), standard changes provided for in point 21.A.90B of Annex I (Part-21) to Regulation (EU) No 748/2012 and standard repairs provided for in point 21.A.431B of Annex I (Part-21) to Regulation (EU) No 748/2012.
  • It is acceptable that the 1 or 2 years of experience required by category L covers maintenance performed only during the weekends (or equivalent periods) as long as the applicant has achieved a sufficient level of competency related to the applicable licence subcategory as attested by the corresponding statement(s) issued by the maintenance organisation(s) or independent certifying staff that supervised the applicant.

Recent experience special rule for pilot-owners :
When a licence holder maintains and releases aircraft in accordance with M.A.801(b)1, in certain circumstances this number of days may even be reduced by 50% when agreed in advance by the competent authority. These circumstances consider the cases where the licence holder happens to be the owner of an aircraft and carries out maintenance on his/her own aircraft, or where a licence holder maintains an aircraft operated for low utilisation, that does not allow the licence holder to accumulate the required experience. This reduction should not be combined with the 20% reduction permitted when carrying out technical support, or maintenance planning, continuing airworthiness management or engineering activities. To avoid a too long period without experience, the working days should be spread over the intended 6-month period.

Summary:
B1.2 is for all piston airplanes. It takes 13 exams and either:

• 1 year of training + 200 days of experience
  • 600 days of experience.

B3 is identical but limited to non-pressurised, less than 2t

L2 is limited to 1,2t and TMG, has 9 exams and

• 1 year part-time for a limited licence
  • 2 years part-time for a full licence

If your authority is nice with you, they can reduce the recent experience requirement to 50 days of experience every 2 years to keep your license valid.

Conclusion:
EASA has given light GA options for easier maintenance licences. It should be noted. But it is limited to 1200kg MTOM.
B1.2 is like the PPL, B3 like the LAPL, L2 like the solo endorsement
Thanks @benjamone for the tip about the L2

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 13 Jun 15:49
LFOU, France

Is there a site or resource where one can see the sort of questions in the 9 exams mentioned above?

I have done 15 years of owner assisted Annuals + all of my 50 hour checks (and other work) so the time I have done on maintenance is adding up.

This is something I would be interested in doing too!

United Kingdom

@Archer-181, maybe this site can answer your question : https://easapart66.academy/

I have one remaining question : why take the B3 license if the requirements are basically identical to the B1.2 ?

I will open a new thread for how to study for the license.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 29 Jun 12:27
LFOU, France
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message