Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Pierre Robin 1927-2020

The Jodel DR105/1050/1051 was Robin’s first design, but SAN and CEA built them. D – Delamontez R – Robin.
The design was flown very successfully by Pierre Robin in the race to Sicily. He later became a builder, taking over CEA. As a manufacturer, he used a slightly less efficient, but much more docile, wing section than the 105# series.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

RIP Mr Robin.
I owe you a huge debt.
If I hadn’t fallen in love with our (your) wonderful DR400 all those years ago I certainly wouldn’t be flying now.
I adored the thing and feel sad that you’ve gone.

United Kingdom

How did Robin achieve such a large market share of the aeroclub community in France?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter the Jodel and Robin aircraft along with the CAP10 evolved over the years each model proving itself as fuel efficient, simple to fly and maintain and with good performance. They were also designed with the French aeroclub scene in mind.
If you look back at past comparisons with their competition the Robin rarely came top of performances like speed, take off and landing distance, load carrying etc, but they were always thereabouts.
An average of all things would usually put them above the competition.
But above all for most of us they were a delight to fly.
I always wish they had made a twin instrument platform with an electric driving system

France

He was a club flight instructor turned into a businessman :) He knew pretty well his market : 2-3 seater, decent speed, low cost, versatile.
His design was really aimed at clubs. While I never understood what was the market of the Rallye, which was more an engineer’s airplane : well performing but why a super stol plane in a club?

LFOU, France

The Rallye was initially designed as part of a competition for a basic military trainer. AIUI it didn’t win and I can’t remember what did.
The Raĺlye became popular in clubs as a basic trainer and as a glider tug. I’m not sure why some clubs chose the Rallye instead of what would then have been the DR300 series.
Many clubs at the time would have had the D112 for initial PPL training and then move onto the Robin for the navigation part. So, perhaps some clubs decided on the tricycle undercarriage of the Rallye for initial training and the fact that is a solid old beast with a super flap system. If you could taxi a Rallye you can taxi just about anything.

France

Peter

The answer to Your question is that the DR400 outperforms all aircraft of the same power, is a delight to fly and French property prices mean that clubs could afford hangars to keep the aircraft in.

If you could taxi a Rallye you can taxi just about anything

@jujupilote about any nose wheel aircraft?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@A_and_C Of course you are right about the DR400 but when I started flying instruction was on a DR315, D112, and the Rallye. For navigation we had a DR360, it was an aircraft we could go as 4 adults and full tanks from LFFK to Perpignan LFMP at 120kts IAS so about 3hrs.
Take off from a 960m grass strip, using about a third of it. Not quick by today’s standards I’ll admit but on a 160hp engine we used between 30 and 33 litres an hour.
I loved that little Robin (except for the canopy locking system) and it was still going strong up until recently as was the DR315 (which is still going strong. Although both had long since gone into private hands. I first flew them in 1993 and they were not exactly new then. I think the club bought them in the 1970’s and they did between 300 and 400 hours annually

France

A few photos of the masterpiece under the skin.

Sign in to add your message