Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Permit Flying

Had an email last night from the hallowed inner sanctum of the group. Mavis is now fit to fly. It has taken 9 months to get her back in the air. It is what it is but I did wonder if this is the norm and if it is, how on earth do people do any meaningful flying on permit aircraft if the down time is so long. I guess in this case, changing brakes to the cleaveland thingy is a bigger job than I had in my head. I am also waiting for information from one of the members but he seemed to lose his manners the day I joined so wont hold my breath.

Would I be correct in saying that to fit an encoder is just another maintenance term for fitting a transponder or am I barking up the wrong tree? I did google it but fell asleep.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

An encoder sends the standard altitude to a transponder. It’s like a remote altimeter that you can’t read. It’s needed for Mode C/S.

On my panel refit the avionics engineers found and removed four (!) blind encoders from my aircraft.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Had an email last night from the hallowed inner sanctum of the group. Mavis is now fit to fly. It has taken 9 months to get her back in the air. It is what it is but I did wonder if this is the norm and if it is, how on earth do people do any meaningful flying on permit aircraft if the down time is so long

Down time for what? We had our wings recovered, new windscreen/top/back screen put in, doors rebuilt and some minor non-structural wood repairs done a couple of years back and the aircraft was only out of action for about 6 weeks.

Andreas IOM

I too wonder why so many people’s planes spend months in the Annual or whatever. Especially in a syndicate. My guess at the reasons would be

1. in a syndicate, you need a clear decision maker who is backed up by the members, otherwise nothing gets done
  2. also in a syndicate, you get frequent disagreements on paying for stuff and what is essential to different members
  3. when the plane is opened up, various worms crawl out, and it takes a while to get the parts
  4. when the plane is opened up, various worms crawl out, and the owner doesn’t want to pay to fix it
  5. disagreement between the shop and the owner on what constitutes an “airworthy” aircraft
  6. in any disagreement between the owner and the shop, the shop stops the work till it is sorted (I would do the same)
  7. the maintenance business is not known for good project management – they have to make money out of a tough market
  8. the owner went for the lowest quote so got the most disorganised company
  9. the shop has had their credit account pulled (or doesn’t have one with this supplier) and doesn’t have the cash to pay up front for the parts, so uses delaying tactics
  10. many businesses simply work on the principle of working on a job only when the customer screams down the phone (or threatens to sue)

The last five points are common in the “British builder” scenario too

I could throw in a few more controversial ones but as a mod I am going to get into hot water…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Our Permit Renewal is often done on a rolling basis, before the previous Permit runs out. Only if the Inspector found something safety-critical would he ground us immediately. Other jobs are done where possible on bad weather days. The longest down-time was a top-head overhaul in 2007. I flew today, then we did part of a 50 hour, including changing oil and filter. Weather permitting I’ll fly to Glenforsa tomorrow.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

The LAA mod approval process is quite resource limited and there can be a lot of down time waiting for responses.
If you are going on the back of a previously approved mod, it should be a lot quicker.
Fitting an encoder shouldn’t need much paperwork or LAA HQ involvement. It’s a common task that should take no more than a few hours including the post installation checks.

My experience of some maintenance people who offer a low price is that there is no AOG sense of urgency and your job will be done when there is no other, more lucrative, work in the pipeline. I once had a Gipsy overhaul for a chippy where nothing was done for over 6 months and we ended up retrieving the dismantled engine, going to Vintech and having a good engine 2 weeks later. Moral was pay the extra to get the job done properly and quickly; after all we were still hangaring and insuring an ornamental DH glider.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message