Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Parking a car at the airport, permanently

I often thought that the ability to just leave an old car (no tax, no MOT, no maintenance, possibly even no insurance if you are that way inclined) at some Greek island airport is one of the many pleasures of Greece.

It is also possible in some places I've been to in France.

It doesn't seem possible at all in the UK. I am not aware of a law making it illegal to park a car indefinitely on a public road (unless prohibited, obviously) provided it is taxed and insured and MOTd but what tends to happen is that after a few weeks it gets vandalised.

Old cars seem to be popular for this because the modern ones draw a lot of current from the battery, for stuff like central locking. In our "family" we have a Merc A1 and it draws about 100mA which flattens the battery after a week or two. A little solar panel is not going to overcome that, on average.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Half of my hangar neighbors park one of their oldtimers in their hangar (one of the many advantages of a high wing airplane).

What's the rationale for having an old car at your airfield? I just park my car in the hanger while I'm away with the airplane.

In the US, airports often have courtesy cars which is great. Sometimes you find that here, too.

Sorry - I meant having a car parked permanently at an airfield you fly to periodically.

It saves a lot of money on taxi fares and car rental.

Administrator

And it creates a lot of hassle and costs a lot of money to maintain that car and deal with issues. What is the value of a car without road registration? I have a car at my holiday place and believe me, it's a lot of hassle. Nothing beats arriving at your holiday destination and realizing your car is broken. Best possible way to spend your holiday.

What is the value of a car without road registration?

In Germany, minus zero

Nothing beats arriving at your holiday destination and realizing your car is broken

So, get a VW Golf Get one of the pre-ECU models. They are very cheap nowadays.

Administrator

We have a frequent destination in Eastern Germany to which we fly once per week, (almost) every week of the year. My predecessor used to keep such a car at this airfield for some time. But when the next MOT was due (called TÜV here and you have to do it every second year) he did some accounting and found out, that would he have taken a taxi every time he used that car, he would have saved a lot of money.

I think it really only makes sense if you have a holiday home somewhere that you visit several times per year and where you absolutely need a car to get anywhere (I'm thinking of a cottage somewhere on the west coast of Ireland or similar). Hire cars are really cheap now, you can get a lot of days for the cost of your airport car. And the hire car will have insurance cover, even on your remote Greek island...

EDDS - Stuttgart

My solution for this problem is a plane how can carry a car or better camping van. But the increase of maintance an fuel coast would be high.

EDAZ

My solution for this problem is a plane how can carry a car or better camping van. But the increase of maintance an fuel coast would be high.

You can have that for free (diver included) but they must elect you president first:

EDDS - Stuttgart

Peter, keeping a car somewhere abroad makes no sense, unless you really go there a lot. I used to do it (shuttling between UK and Spain) and I needed a specific type of vehicle for my work there. It therefore did make sense, but I ran the figures and the break-even point in my case was around 80-90 days p.a. I don't spend that much time there anymore, so the car's been sold. In any case cars are like airplanes - if you don't use them, they rot. Just more hassle.

I think there is a better option and an absolute perfect fit for Peter

This would also solve the hangarage problem -- you can do all the maintenance you like in your own garage. You can practise LPV approaches in your own driveway.

49 Posts
Sign in to add your message