Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Over-controlling in turbulence

I just think it’s important to understand the nature of moving air when flying through it. If you want to call every non-standstill piece of air for “turbulence”, that’s fine with me. Myself, I use more precise terms.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I just think it’s important to understand the nature of moving air when flying through it. If you want to call every non-standstill piece of air for “turbulence”, that’s fine with me. Myself, I use more precise terms.

I prefer to use the terms that are established within aviation as that will minimise confusion, e.g. when reading POH’s and talking to ATC. They do not have to be the same terms used in fluid dynamics.

If you want to use “more precise terms” you will find that a POH will typically not tell you to slow down or give maximum speeds for flying in convective weather. It will give speeds for “turbulence”. If that makes you think you can fly at Vne in convection just because convection is not necessarily turbulent flow, then good luck. But I feel sorry for any passengers.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message