Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

On reflection my AME has just done me a favour

Peter wrote:

Why not just have a PPL which downgrades to LAPL privileges if you have an LAPL medical?

The use of a PPL with LAPL privileges should be no problem, but there is a discussion if you can revalidate your class rating without a class 2 medical.

EDHN, EDDV, Germany

there is a discussion if you can revalidate your class rating without a class 2 medical.

Why not, if the FI is PIC. You should need a medical at all. No idea whether this works in practice; some papers you cannot apply for (like the EASA CPL, the UK PPL, the UK national PPL) unless you hold a current medical.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

there is a discussion if you can revalidate your class rating without a class 2 medical.

Why not, if the FI is PIC. You should need a medical at all. No idea whether this works in practice; some papers you cannot apply for (like the EASA CPL, the UK PPL, the UK national PPL) unless you hold a current medical.

To my knowledge there is no consent between the 16 Authorities how to interpret the regulations about it. They require the application form for revalidation and a copy of the license and medical. The argument is that, as holder of a LAPL medical, only LAPL privileges apply. Because a LAPL contains no class rating according to FCL.740, you can’t revalidate without class 2 for the reason that class ratings apply only for PPL and up.

I think the typical german bueraucrat requires a clarification that a class rating has nothing to to with the executed privileges.

Last Edited by sw1969 at 22 Sep 11:40
EDHN, EDDV, Germany

sw1969 wrote:

but there is a discussion if you can revalidate your class rating without a class 2 medical.

Yes, that’s a real trap. Revalidation has to be done with a valid class 2 medical. I didn’t know about that in the beginning, but by coincidence my medical (the second year with LAPL privileges) was up in January and my PPL revalidation in May the same year, so it was always OK. Others have been not so lucky.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
104 Posts
Sign in to add your message