Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Norway "bans" national language in R/T (and other ELP discussion)

Of course it would make sense. But we still believe that we have secrets worth keeping from you, and then there is brexit negotioations … all in all the language barrier can still be put to good use, if you ask the average Dane.

Finland could take over the brood darkly business. They were superior all along.

In a pathetic attempt to maintain the original subject of the thread, I would just add that while Aviation English is well understood and appropriately (?) spoken in Scandinavia, the British language is neither.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

The Finns? They were once described to me as “half Russian, half human” and their language is bastardised Hungarian. Slavic brooding about Russian souls has no part in Nordic Noir.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

The Finns? They were once described to me as “half Russian, half human” and their language is bastardised Hungarian. Slavic brooding about Russian souls has no part in Nordic Noir.

I don’t think that’s a fair description at all. Not even in jest.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It was given to me by our Finnish distributor, in explanation.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

In (German) Switzerland everyone uses English

I don’t think so

Where were you to get that idea? I agree with Vladimir that you’ll hear mostly English around the small fields in the German part of Switzerland. Sure, once you’re on the ground the local “Flugplatzleiter” will give you parking/taxi advice in German if you’re locally based or your aircraft reg is HB-, D-, or OE- simply on the assumption that you understand German. But even then, if you reply in English they’ll continue in that. Also, several students in the circuit would be chatting with their instructor (usually on the ground) in German. But anyone who announces themselves on approach in English will get an English reply and everyone in the circuit would likely switch to English to ensure clarity.

LSZK, Switzerland

It would be interesting to get a glimpse of a thread like this 20 years or so ago, before the disastrous (for GA) ICAO ELP rules (and subsequent worse EASA & Europe application) came into effect. The poor pilots on the Air China flight into Kennedy certainly had no clue of the chain of ELP events they would set in motion partly as a result of their pitiful exchange with Kennedy ATC.

Air China to Kennedy Ground!

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

disastrous (for GA) ICAO ELP rules (and subsequent worse EASA & Europe application)

Disastrous in what sense?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I suggest someone starts a new thread called something like: “Has EASA ELP in Europe been a disaster for GA?”.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

chflyer wrote:

Sure, once you’re on the ground the local “Flugplatzleiter” will give you parking/taxi advice in German if you’re locally based or your aircraft reg is HB-, D-, or OE- simply on the assumption that you understand German. But even then, if you reply in English they’ll continue in that.

I have been on multiple airfields in Germany where they only replied in German (OO reg), even after it became very clear I didn’t understand a word of what they were saying. In Flanders,Belgium R/T is 100% English, even on the smallest grass strips, in the French part of Belgium I guess it’s about 80%.

EBMO, EBKT
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message