Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Homebuilding in Europe

I am still researching this, but it appears that in Poland the “experimental” category would work, albeit it might be limited to 600kg MTOW making it better than UL but useless for getting an Evo.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Limited to 600kg MTOM? Even a Europa (like the majority of the kits) wouldn’t fit in then. Leave it on another register – Poland is an ECAC member so I guess operation wouldn’t be a problem. As for the Evo it might be best kept on an N-Reg (?)

EDLE

Which I guess leads to the first thread of the new “non certified” forum Peter promised – what is the best EU-reg for kits/homebuilts? ;-)

Can painless (and legal) border crossing be had? Can cross-border IFR flight? Is it still relatively affordable (e.g. as opposed to an older CoA plane)?
I have a vague impression (not supported by any real data) that the new EASA regs (e.g. ELA1/ELA2, CS-STAN, Part-M-Light) and a supportive registry would bring down the cost of ownership of a CoA plane much closer to properly maintaining a decent homebuilt.

Interesting times (or so they seem to a newbie, perhaps they always were…).

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo wrote:

Can painless (and legal) border crossing be had? Can cross-border IFR flight?

Peter wrote:

the countless threads on EuroGA which discuss the border crossing privilege matrix

Essentially my experience is, that border crossing isn’t an issue in many/most european countries with a european registration. It is legal as well and nobody asks

As for IFR – I don’t know but have heard that also nobody asks

EDLE

tmo wrote:

I have a vague impression (not supported by any real data) that the new EASA regs (e.g. ELA1/ELA2, CS-STAN, Part-M-Light) and a supportive registry would bring down the cost of ownership of a CoA plane much closer to properly maintaining a decent homebuilt.

If that turns out to be true then it will be VERY interesting. The only main difference is that the majority of SEPs from the CofA tend to have Lycosaurauses, and therefore you are stuck to relatively high fuel consumptions compared to the Rotax; even with swapping fuel to MOGAS.

The foreign based problem for non international certified types would probably be easier as well..

EDHS, Germany

The vast majority of Rotax powered planes are UL craft, most larger homebuilt types are powered by the same engines that CoA planes are… These larger homebuilts are probably also closer to the utility of a CoA plane than the UL ones (as much as I like them, especially the ones that are UL by name only – but they still seem oh so fragile).

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message