Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Belly/cargo pod for Europa XS

Hello
I am looking at buying an Europa XS converted to taildragger, but, I love mountain biking. I need to carry two full size mountain bikes with me in many of the flights.
I have seen airplanes with belly cargo pods, and was wondering if one for two bicycles could be added under the Europa XS fuselage without affecting the way the air flows over the tail much.
The cargo pod would have to be at least 1.6 m long, 1 m wide, and around 0.40 m thick at the widest point if I try to make it more aerodynamic.
Has anybody measured the distance between the inner edges of the flaps?
Apparently the cabin is over a meter wide.
Any other ideas are welcome!
Unfortunately, putting the bikes under the wing as several with high wing planes have done is not an option in an Europa.
Sincerely,
Alejandro

SAZX, Argentina

How much ground clearance at the rear? Allow for U/C compression on landing. Who must approve? Test flights?

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I agree, since it will always operate from grass, it will be teardrop shaped, becoming thinner towards the rear/stern, so ground clearance is less of an issue.
Owner and pilot must approve. It’s experimental. Test flights will have to be at very light weight.

SAZX, Argentina

These guys may be able to help you:

Top Farm, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message