Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cool little engine

Here’s a cool little engine

• 4 cylinder, boxer, 3.3 liters
  • 110 HP at 2800 rpm
  • Direct drive
  • Installed weight 76 kg
  • Single piece casting of head and cylinder (for what purpose?)

Manufacturers web page here.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

As the article lays out, it appears to be a modernized, 200 cu in direct replacement for the 0-200 Continental but with the Lycoming induction system that’s less prone to carb ice than the Continental intake spider. The carb is a CV slide type, similar to the Bing used on Rotax engines or other motorcycle carbs, making it largely altitude sensitive.

The cylinders are possibly lighter or better cooled than iron barrel cylinders screwed into aluminum cylinder heads, or easier to make, but on this and several other previous experimental category engines/cylinders I’ve been perplexed as to why they didn’t go with Nikasil surface coating instead. It must be related to material strength required with base flange retained cylinders (?)

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Aug 18:35

It’s much too light for a direct replacement I think. 76 kg vs (at least) 90-100 for the continental. It also looks more like a Lycoming with the camshaft and sump. They write that fuel injection is an option (not what kind of fuel injection though, but I would assume electronic).

It’s very similar to the UL350i. It as 3.5 liters and 116 HP at 2800 RPM, and weighs 78 kg (installed weight with muffler).

Time will show

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Move the battery to the engine compartment – like they did in the TB9/10?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It is in many ways like a Lycoming, but appears to have been designed to fit an O-200 engine mount.

I think the Continental similarities is Kitplane’s take in it. It’s obviously a 200 cubic inch displacement, four cylinder direct drive. Apart from that everything is different. From the “about” section on their home page:

The principal designer Wood Huang of YUSIMITI engine is an aviation enthusiast and a seasoned pilot himself who enjoys flying his own STXL & RX-7 crisscross the skies of the mountainous island of Taiwan. He has flown numerous times over the towering peaks of 3000 to 4000 meters of elevation in the beautiful mountain ranges in central Taiwan.

From his own experience of flying and in routine maintenance of light-sport aircrafts, he has a personal appreciation for the value that economic, easy-to-operate and yet reliable engines for these aircrafts could bring. After thorough evaluations of the capabilities of the supplier base in Taiwan, he commenced his design career focusing on light aircraft engines – from the perspective of a pilot, putting special deliberations across a full range of key aspects of an engine, such as easy-to-install, easy-to-start, easy-to-operate, ease of maintenance, power output, propeller characteristics, compatibility and reliability as well as component availability.

After a comprehensive design process spanning 10 years, the first prototype was completed in the Spring of 2019, and participated in the EAA AirVenture Oshkosh in the Summer of 2019.

In recent years, the new crown pneumonia epidemic has shrouded, but our engines are not infected and continue to conduct various performance tests, We are confident that the birth of this new engine will bring exciting possibilities to making flying easier, safer, and more enjoyable.

What kind of aircraft is “STXL” and “RX-7” ? It could be Continental engine mounts of course.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

What kind of aircraft is “STXL” and “RX-7” ? It could be Continental engine mounts of course.

STXL is possibly this. RX-7 seems to be a ballon?!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message