Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UL350i ordered

Joe_90 wrote:

What late model vehicle has desmodromic valve gear?

Every Ducati motorcycle… so I have 24 desmo valves to maintain on mine, meaning 48 shimmed adjustments including both opening and closing adjustments.

In total I have something like 45 cylinders to maintain including eight desmo cylinders, some requiring regular valve adjustments, some I’ve never touched because they are hydraulic, two stroke, or have very long adjustment intervals. I find aircraft engines to be relatively simple to maintain.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 05 Mar 14:39

As a man who never had any experience of motorcycles I live and learn. In fact I had thought that the only desmodromic valve gears that existed in my lifetime were on some exotic Mercedes engines in the early ’50s.

It arrived today after a couple of days in the Norwegian customs office free shipping from Belgium.

My first impression is WOW. The quality of the craftsmanship is amazing, and every little bit is included (wires, oil tubing/cooler, fuel system, ECU etc etc, even baffling). It has to stay in the box for a while until I get the engine mount from Kaolin, and later the propeller from Prince. Going to Belgium in June for installation and maintenance course (also free )

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Nice looking engine. I wish Lyco etc did the same sort of thing. Instead they, and most overhaul shops, just assemble it, stand back, and spray grey paint over the whole thing

The crankcase looks CNC machined.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The crankcase looks CNC machined.

Very much so. They could easily have gone over with a much finer final cut as is normally done, but I guess this looks cooler It looks like it is treated in some way nonetheless, polished but leaving the “CNC look”. As an odd fun fact, the fins of the cylinder heads make really nice sound like a glockenspiel. It also has the camshaft on the correct side

Compared with my Aerovee (2200cc, 70 hp with MOGS 95), the UL350i is 3500cc and 118 hp. The weight is exactly the same. I met one of the Lancair dudes a few days ago, He is seriously considering getting a 6 cylinder variant to replace his Lycoming 230 (I think he got). Replacing his 230 with a UL520, and he gets 200 HP with the same weight, actually a bit less.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

What about CS propeller, is it possible?

Slovakia
LZSL, LZOC, LZLU

Only electric AFAIK.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

They could easily have gone over with a much finer final cut as is normally done, but I guess this looks cooler It looks like it is treated in some way nonetheless, polished but leaving the “CNC look”.

Beautiful looking engine ! Could it be that they left the ‘CNC look’ on purpose to increase the surface area for cooling ? It looks ‘grooved’ on the pics.

172driver wrote:

Could it be that they left the ‘CNC look’ on purpose to increase the surface area for cooling

Maybe. It does indeed increase the surface area by a factor 1.5 perhaps.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway