Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

No hangar, no tie down, but most welcome here

They are not really needed; all controls are centred using springs, other than say in the PA28 or TB20. The controls might move a little in a tailwind but won’t be slammed against the stops.

You bet they will be slammed in strong wind gusts.
There are universal control locks attached at the control surfaces to counter them. Can be DIY too, a screw with two cushioned plates.

always learning
LO__, Austria

I’m glad my wife isn’t on this forum She would probably say “Let’s forget this idea of yours” eheh

EGSU, United Kingdom

WW2 hangar with cold as a freezer. Is that any good?

Yes; you won’t get a heated hangar in the UK

A secondary but somewhat useful point is whether there is mains power, for engine preheater. In most hangars this is not usable even if available because the need to move other planes prevents running mains cables to yours. Or there are rules stopping any kind of appliance.

But it rarely gets cold enough in the UK for a preheater being needed.

Most important is whether work in the hangar is permitted. That’s a huge bonus – which is why most hangars in Europe don’t allow it. Now we will get a load of posts saying “mine does”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fernando wrote:

I’m glad my wife isn’t on this forum She would probably say “Let’s forget this idea of yours” eheh

Unfortunately that is a huge issue with most forums, including this one. Ask a simple question and get the sum of all negative experiences. I actually wonder how many people will stop whatever they are planning to do due to this.

My plane, a Mooney, has been outside for about a decade now, due to exactly the same problems. Hangarage at my homebase has the price of a 4 room flat, which I can’t afford, not that there is any available. There are about 2 dozen other planes on the same apron. None of them so far has had any larger damage. Needless to say they are tied down properly, with large chains anchored in the ground. There are 3 DA42’s, another Mooney, several Senecas and the usual suspects. Some of those have cabin covers, only mine has full covers.

What I strongly recommend is getting full covers! I got mine from “Bruce’s Airplane Covers” and could not be happier. My own paint is pretty tired as it is and the fact that the airplane is parked under the approach of jets does not help. Covers have stopped the decay of the paint completely. My mistake was not getting them earlier.

Also make sure you wash the airplane regularly and put the covers on once it’s dry. As I live next to the airport, if there is wet weather on arrival, I sometimes don’t put the wing covers and come back the next day once it’s dry.

While I have no experience with plastic airplanes, metal ones do ok as long as you are not right next to the sea and exposed to salt water.

Cold in a hangar should not be a problem. As @Dan sais, use pre-heat if necessary. Same goes for outside.

So the plan to keep the plane outside until you get proper hangarage is not optimal but certainly doable.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 02 Dec 08:41
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Most important is whether work in the hangar is permitted.

Interestingly, a mechanic is operating from inside that particular hangar :)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

So the plan to keep the plane outside until you get proper hangarage is not optimal but certainly doable.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

This shows how much we all love aviation – it’s like a minefield but were are still keen to walk through it :)

To everyone, thank you so much for your responses. They are really useful. I can’t wait to meet you all at some point.

EGSU, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

A secondary but somewhat useful point is whether there is mains power, for engine preheater.

Or to connect a battery charger to your aircraft (permanently or not).
Everyone in my hangar keeps his aircraft connected to the mains during the winter months.

etn
EDQN, Germany

Ask a simple question and get the sum of all negative experiences.

I don’t think so; also by avoiding the negative aspects you leave yourself with a positive experience

a mechanic is operating from inside that particular hangar

That’s great news. Assuming he is good…

Or to connect a battery charger to your aircraft (permanently or not).
Everyone in my hangar keeps his aircraft connected to the mains during the winter months.

That is generally not possible in the UK because of hangar movements. Most people fly through the winter – except a chunk of the homebuilt community on farm strips which tends to just close up for a few months (the runway is often unusable due to waterlogging).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fernando wrote:

I’m trying :) I found an airfield with hangar space, but it’s a WW2 hangar with cold as a freezer. Is that any good?

Fernando wrote:

Interestingly, a mechanic is operating from inside that particular hangar :)

He must be quite cold resistant… but that looks pretty decent. How far is that airport away from you? You could always take it and at the same time get on the waiting list at your preferred airport. Once a space becomes available, you can move.

Fernando wrote:

This shows how much we all love aviation – it’s like a minefield but were are still keen to walk through it :)

I still think after all the time that it is well worth it. Yes, there are pitfalls but the plus outdoes the negatives by far.

Peter wrote:

I don’t think so; also by avoiding the negative aspects you leave yourself with a positive experience

True. At the same time it is also important to focus on the positives, otherwise the negatives may well overwhelm someone who has not yet got the experience to tell the rational from the irrational. Each of us has his pet fears and stuff which they regard as less dramatic but as these differ from person to person, you can easily end up with the sum of the fears of the collective forumites rather than a balanced view on a particular risk. I know I am prone to see the negative more than I should.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Just back from flying. Hangar/aviary is unheated. Aircraft is covered with cloths for bird faeces. Removal and replacement not much bother. Work is permitted. Two 13amp sockets near the plane £1,8## per year. WW2 hangar. Much safer than some modern ones, from result of last heavy snowfall.. No extra charge for the fitness enhancing doors. Full security, runway lighting, ATC.
Been there since 1990.
Just over an hour from London. (By Easyjet)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message