Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Night VFR

I’ll be making another attempt to get the night rating later this week (this time in Germany). Are there any landing requirements in the 5 hours of training? I recall the FAA required 10 landings to a full stop.

Tököl LHTL

Just take a look into the regs:

FCL.810 Night rating

(a) Aeroplanes, TMGs, airships.
(1) If the privileges of an LAPL, an SPL or a PPL for aeroplanes, TMGs or airships are to be exercised in VFR conditions at night, applicants shall have completed a training course at an ATO. The course shall comprise:
(i) theoretical knowledge instruction;
(ii) at least 5 hours of flight time in the appropriate aircraft category at night, including at least 3 hours of dual instruction, including at least 1 hour of cross-country navigation with at least one dual cross-country flight of at least 50 km (27 NM) and 5 solo take-offs and 5 solo full-stop landings.
(2) Before completing the training at night, LAPL holders shall have completed the basic instrument flight training required for the issue of the PPL.
(3) When applicants hold both a single-engine piston aeroplane (land) and a TMG class rating, they may complete the requirements in (1) above in either class or both classes.
[…]

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Thanks! These forums would be little populated if people went right to the regs!

Tököl LHTL

Do the solo take offs and landings have to take place AFTER the 3 hours of dual?

Tököl LHTL

There is no specified sequence. It is all up to the school’s syllabus. Also depends on practicalities such as if you can fly the night circuits at your home base or elsewhere.

Biggin Hill

These forums would be little populated if people went right to the regs!

But there is a problem

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

At my club we do ‘stop and goes’ where you come to a stop on the runway, then call ready for departure and take off again. Prevents loads of wasted taxi time, but does only work with a long runway of course.

Now retired from forums best wishes

Balliol wrote:

At my club we do ‘stop and goes’ where you come to a stop on the runway, …

Same here. Would take forever to make full-stop landings with taxiing back. I could understand that on a short runway, but not on the kind of runways we usually choose for night training.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Balliol wrote:

At my club we do ‘stop and goes’ where you come to a stop on the runway, then call ready for departure and take off again. Prevents loads of wasted taxi time, but does only work with a long runway of course.

Same here, did my night rating at Münster / Osnabrück and asked if I could do a full stop and start again from the runway – not a problem when looking at the length of their runway

EDL*, Germany

I would like to conduct a night VFR in France and I am looking for the special regulations (references) for the following questions

If an airport is approved for night VFR and nothing is mentioned on the VAC map, can I land/takeoff at anytime during the night? How does it work with landing fees?
Can I exit the airport easily if I land after ATS hours (e.g. Grenoble or Lyon-Bron)?
Is the windsock always illuminated ?
On the Flight Information frequency, is there always someone available during the night ?

Switzerland
Sign in to add your message