Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New iPad EFB available: UkRunways

That AirDrop stuff will only work with other Apple devices and require an iPad 4 or iPhone 5. Usefulness factor near 0.

Normally I use email or Dropbox for sharing between mobile devices.

Yes. DropBox is awesome. We have that too... did I mention we're not really a version 1.0 App ;)

DropBox & UkRunways: 1. Create a folder in your dropbox (we don't like to sync everything) 2. Create a file called 'EDTH My personal notes or whatever' 3. Select folder from step 1 in UkRunways (only need to do this once) 4. Tap on EDTH*) in UkRunways 5. Your own PDF is right there, next to the AIP and charts for EDTH.

Feel free to create a shared dropbox folder with your local aeroclub/friends and share documents with the latest information.

*) EDTH not yet in UkRunways. Working on it.

OzRunways.Com - iPad EFB for the World
EHHV

I'm pretty sure a number of people on this forum have tried UkRunways. We still have a bunch of things we need to enable, things we disabled when we ported OzRunways to Uk.

Any feedback on what you'd like to see first?

EHHV

Make it EuroRunways...

Heheh. For sure. EuroRunways. Watch this space...

In the mean time - I'll do a better render of OpenStreetMap soon and add all German airspace structure to the database. I'll let you know when.

EHHV

Any feedback on what you'd like to see first?

What is your USP, or what do you do that is better than any of the other products?. I am tempted to download it and try it at some point. Im quite interested in these things :-)

USP... I may be a bit too much of a geek... hmmm.

Our map viewer is best in class. We like official maps, we like them to be awesome. We succeeded.

Next in line is our Documents/AIP support with full text search and dropbox support. Now you'll actually notice when there are relevant things in the AICs.

Have your own documents for an aerodrome? Just prefix it with the ICAO code in your dropbox, and it'll be available right along the AIP.

And first and foremost (as a last point) - usability is very, very important to us. We do the hard things, so you don't have to.

Oh, wait there's more... there's the HSI, terrain view, fully configurable GPS HUD...

What would be an important thing for you to have, something you don't have right now? Something which would make your life easier?

EHHV

How about a feature whereby you can select the runway and it displays a LOC+GS "CDI" to simulate an ILS all the way down to that runway.

I know this is off at a tangent, but the other thing which nobody seems to be doing (in a usable way) is a synthetic vision product. Yet this must be easy to do. FS2000 did it 13 years ago, X-Plane had it 6 years ago in a very high quality form (you bought about 5 NASA SRTM DVDs). Today it cannot be hard, even on a 600MHz tablet. It would be a good safety aid.

Combine the two above and you have something really interesting

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ohhh. That tickles my inner geek. We've actually contemplated something like that, even did some tests.

The hardware just isn't quite there yet. Remember, iPads are consumer devices, they don't have barometric altitude, glide slopes just don't work. For gaming all the gyro sensor stuff is good - but you need to get this spot on for aviation, or just don't do it.

Garmin GLO is one GPS with 10Hz update frequency, this should make it somewhat better - but no barometer (which my handheld GPS60CSx has).

... that is unless I don't understand your question. Every one in Australia has at the very least a couple hundred hours in their logbooks. I'm a measly student with 8 hours.

EHHV

iPads are consumer devices, they don't have barometric altitude, glide slopes just don't work

Well, barometric altitude is exactly what you do NOT want. Aviation would be better today if it didn't rely on barometric altitude. You have WAAS/EGNOS augmented GPS altitude which is very exact, so exact that one can do precision approaches down to 200ft using it.

When simulating instrument approaches (I second Peter's request!), you really want to use GPS altitude.

There are numerous external GPS units for iPads that provide better accuracy. The certified GNS430 only has 1Hz GPS updates and the GNS430W 5Hz, the latter being approved for 200ft DH precision approaches.

And regarding processing power, there is plenty of it in an iPad3/4. More than in a PC that was doing synthetic vision some 5-10 years ago.

Sign in to add your message