Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

N reg in Europe after April 2014

Hi folks.

I am based in the UK and have an EASA PPL. I do not have a full IR, but I do have an IR(R).

To date, all my flying in UK and Europe has been in G-registered planes rented through flight schools & flying clubs. I am now looking at other flying options, and one such option is a non-equity N-Reg group based fairly close to where I live.

My understanding from the research I’ve done online is that as an EASA PPL holder that was issued by the UK CAA, I can fly an N-Reg plane within the UK on my existing licence – VFR and within the privileges of my IR(R) rating. However, to fly it elsewhere in Europe (eg France or Ireland), I would need an FAA Licence or “Certificate” and of course this would be VFR only as my IR(R) is only valid within the UK.

The existing group members only fly within the UK, and don’t know what is involved in getting an FAA licence.

Everything I have found online seems outdated, as it talks about UK PPLs (as opposed to EASA PPLs issued in the UK).

Can anyone advise on the steps I’d need to take to enable me to fly an N-reg in Europe outside of the UK? Preferably, I’m looking for the simplest and cheapest route. If it turns out that it’s neither simple nor cheap to make this happen, then I’ll discount the N-reg share and go for another plane on the G-register.

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

Simplest: meet Adam House and hand over 350 quid to him. Done.

Cheapest: Probably the above.

More rewarding: fly over to the US (300
quid for the cheapeast ticket?) and get it done overe there for free. Whilst you are there, get some flying in to learn how GA is done the right way.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 13 Aug 16:00
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks Bosco. I’ll drop Adam a line.

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message