Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Musings about the "restart" 172s

I can see two big glass-screen boxes being heavier than the old KCS55 slaved HSI system, but not one… OTOH a C172 would not have come with a KCS55 anyway, normally.

Cars are heavier now but a lot of it is crashworthiness. Also they keep getting bigger without changing their name

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A G1000 is a whole collection of boxes, some of which are in the panel, others are not. It’s massive gear.

The 180hp C172SP perform worse than my old 150hp C172M. Observed many times. They need more runway, climb slower but go a bit faster at altitude.

Also they keep getting bigger without changing their name

Yes, indeed, I merely compared the fact everything is getting heavier, so why not aircraft… :)
It is quite possible to build spartan 4-seaters that weigh next to nothing and carry just as much, but I think they may be difficult to certify in today’s world, and I’m not so sure anyone would buy them. Thinking of the Dynaero MCR4S and the Alpi Pioneer 400 to name but two.

Flightdesign claim that their new 4-seater, the C4, will weigh 600kg and carry as much (!) that’s 1320 lbs… Well, I want to see that!

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Well, the DR400 is there to show it is not impossible.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

True. But even those have gained quite a bit of weight now. Mostly due to the addition of glass panels and the Diesel engine (which is the version they now seem to sell most).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Today I started a new “9 to 5” (read: 8 to 7) job and I won’t be able to post any longer during the day… :-(

Congratulations! About the job not the lack of posting.

Last Edited by JasonC at 05 May 22:06
EGTK Oxford

FYI our C172 is a N fitted with an 180HP O360 and burning mogas (Penn Yan Superhawk conversion).

Before the conversion it weighed 1450/2300lb empty/full, which gave it 600lb load with full fuel of 240lb.

After the conversion it weighs 1620/2550lb empty/full with 690lb of load. It can carry nearly 4 80kg people or a little less heavy ones with their luggages.

It will do at max weight 103-105 TAS @ FL95 with 26-29lph depending on the leaning accuracy and is feels more stable than less powered versions. The larger engine makes it safer, too.

LGMT (Mytilene, Lesvos, Greece), Greece

The Superhawk is a very nice conversion. It’s what Cessna should have done.

Question for 172N pilots: what ASI do you have at 2000ft at 2200rpm?

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

Depends on the aircraft, temperature and weight. At 2200 RPM, I would say roughly 97 knots (plus or minus 3).

Also, some tachs are way off…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message