Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Move somewhere warm, and GA friendly. Is a Greek dream even possible?

Now that we have got used to living like hermits since last March, I have been toying with the idea of selling up the home, business and the last 50 years’ accumulation of “stuff”. Portugal would be the ideal, for its climate, sophistication, GAscene and tax incentives, but even in a Marchetti it is trip back to England to see my sons and grandchildren that I wouldn’t relish for much of the winter period.
So as a practiced and fully qualified hermit Alderney attracts…..generally warmer than the South of England, 30 minutes from my family in the South of England, easy flying to France and a home base with paved runway with lights.

Marchettiman wrote:

Portugal would be the ideal, for its climate,

I was walking along the beach 10 years ago in the Algarve (Galé beach) and two SF260 were flying together along the coast at 100ft, there would be good company for you down there

I second Alderney EGJA.

It’s a wonderful peaceful place – for someone who has enough to do so doesn’t need to end up propping up the bar in the local pub (Guernsey call Anderney “a rock with 1800 drunks clinging to it” ). The airport is fully functional for GA, infinitely more GA-friendly (except for the G4S “ground security” lot) than the Scilly Isles, has hangarage, and is well located for mainland Europe. Great views, great walks, great bike rides, friendly people. A GA plane means you don’t get ripped off by the local “airline”, and you can take locals with you while cost-sharing (they are very grateful).

If you want somewhere warm in the winter, you won’t find it anywhere in mainland Europe, apart from the Canaries, so it is a case of “where is least bad”. Crete (LGIR) today was +16C and nice wx, but generally it does rain a lot. And you can buy a house on Alderney, without hassle.

Some Alderney pics here.

I doubt there is anywhere in Europe which is scenic, even relatively warm in the winter, and culturally interesting. Most such places live for summer tourism and the rest of the year they are dead. So this has to suit you.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I doubt there is anywhere in Europe which is scenic, even relatively warm in the winter, and culturally interesting. Most such places live for summer tourism and the rest of the year they are dead.

Only if you decide to live in a tourist town. Places like Malaga, Seville or Lisbon have plenty of cultural life going on year-round. Certainly more than Alderney!

74 Posts
Sign in to add your message