Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mooney PM20K (Porsche) (also composite propellers)

Some interesting commentary including Lopresti comments here. The Mooney 201 with a 200 HP four cylinder angle valve Lycoming was lighter, faster and cheaper.

A Suzuki is also cheaper than a Ducati ;-)

How was the Porsche engine different to a Lyco?

Silvaire’s link is interesting but what was actually different apart from auto-mixture and possibly a fixed-rpm governor, to achieve the single lever control? Electronic ignition, yeah.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Alexis wrote:

A Suzuki is also cheaper than a Ducati ;-)

The Suzuki would be more technically aligned with the Porsche in that analogy – more complex and fundamentally more expensive. Its just that the Japanese (unlike Porsche or Ducati) know how to make complicated, throw way engines inexpensively.

(I own both Suzuki and Ducati V-twins by the way… I like my 2V Ducatis for much the same reason I like my Lycoming – both are compact, designed for serviceability and easy to overhaul if required)

Peter wrote:

How was the Porsche engine different to a Lyco?

Here’s a photo.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Aug 21:29

I can see a lot of money spent on diecast tooling but apart from that, an engine is an engine

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter, it’s overhead cam, chain driven on each bank, fan cooled and geared. The power density increase resulting from high rpm is more than offset by the reduction in power density from the extra hardware. Plus the cooling drag issue. Very typical issues for an auto engine conversion.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Aug 20:42

Significantly better fuel consumption, no reliance on leaded fuel, less vibration, easier operation, no cooling problems due to forced cooling.

The 217hp engine was just the start. They had a turbo version in flight testing (the plane crashed due to fuel starvation piloted by 2 airline captains, the Mooney was just restored and flying again in 2017) and higher power versions would have been developed.

Just not a viable business with the decline of GA. The project of a mad CEO…

Pity, fuel type and cargo door are the real limitations of the 201 imo…

didnĀ“t Mooney create extra long body just because of Porsche engine? and used it later on Ovations and later models?

LKKU, LKTB

Yes, correct about the long body. The original short fuselage requires iron plates in the back. Quite a lot actually.

The PFM was also instrumental to the rise of MT. The original McCauley aluminium props would destroy the Porsche gearbox and they had to replace all delivered props with the lighter and better shock absorbing MT props at Porsche’s expense. The props were quite exotic back then. Later the diesel engines would also require MT props for the same reason.

Sign in to add your message