Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"Milky" or scratched airplane windows... any way to clean / polish them?

Actually the most effective but scariest way is to use a blow torch. You tube it.

Forever learning
EGTB

That’s melting the plastic, however… isn’t that going to produce the same optical distortion as rubbing it down?

Did you mean this

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, but I’ve seen much better videos than that.

Forever learning
EGTB

Can you post the links?

Administrator

if the material is acrylic, perspex (AKA Plexiglass) consider using Acrifix 190 or 192. with lots of patience, an excellent result may be achieved. V groove the crack or gouge, build up one drop at a time. use a fridge to extend pot life and let bubbles rise to surface.
frequently used by glider pilots

I have had a side window scratch “polished out” by the maintenance organisation that caused a noticeable scratch in the first place (!). I watched the repair being done – first with rather coarse sandpaper and then with finer and finer sandpaper. They knew what they were doing. The scratch disappeared. I was pleased with the result but would have been happier if they hadn’t damaged my plane in this way and others in the first place. (I only used them once…they later agreed a £5,000 deduction from their invoice. I won’t post their name.)

There was no noticeable optical distortion resulting from the repair, but I’m not sure I’d want to try it with the front screen.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Howard wrote:

…they later agreed a £5,000 deduction from their invoice.

WTF ? For 5,000£ sterling you could put in a NEW window or probably all the side windows !

Last Edited by Michael at 09 May 06:38
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Michael wrote:

WTF ? For 5,000£ sterling you could put in a NEW window or probably all the side windows !

Then he got a reasonably repaired window and the funds to put in a new one if he wanted. Seems like a good deal!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I think the 5k must have been compensation for some other stuff. This is not unusual. I know one UK company which routinely overcharges a few k for e.g. the Annual and then reduces the price when customers haggle. I used them for avionics (once, never again) but was warned to never use them for general maintenance.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message