Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Placards - do we care?

Thanks. The “missing” placard which I was talking about is fuel placard near fuel cap. Can’t find reference to it anywhere in aircraft related documentation. Is there any higher level regulation which states that fuel placards are mandatory for ELA1 aircraft in non commercial operations?

Robin_253 wrote:

Is there any higher level regulation which states that fuel placards are mandatory for ELA1 aircraft in non commercial operations?

If you have used an EASA standard change to allow the use of unleaded AVGAS, then a fuel placard in mandatory. Other than that, I don’t know that you need placards other than those specified in the POH or any STCs.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It seems to be a certification requirement:

ED Decision 2003/14/RM
CS 23.1557 Miscellaneous markings and placards
(a) …
(b) …
(c) Fuel, oil and coolant filler openings. The following apply:
(1) Fuel filler openings must be marked at or near the filler cover with –
(i) For reciprocating engine-powered aeroplanes –
(A) The word „Avgas“; and
(B) The minimum fuel grade.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

… and, oddly, if and only if the aircraft is CS-VLA certified, the placard should also state the tank capacity:

ED Decision 2003/18/RM
CS-VLA 1557 Miscellaneous markings and placards
(a) …
(b) Fuel and oil filler openings. The following apply:
(1) Fuel filler openings must be marked at or near the filler cover with the minimum fuel grade, fuel designation, fuel capacity of the tank, and for each 2-stroke engine without a separate oil system, fuel/oil mixture ratio.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

huv wrote:

It seems to be a certification requirement:

I would only add “recent” certification requirement.
But as the aircraft was certified sometime in mid 1960s there were different regulations in place. Besides, I trust the factory would deliver airworthy airplane, meaning with all mandatory placards in place. And the fule placard would be referenced in flight manual, as other mandatory placards are.

In the 1960s there was no requirement for placards to be referenced in flight manuals, and it was not usual to see them there. Only with the introduction of GAMA flight manuals in the mid 1970s it became mandatory to list all required placards in the Limitations section.

I am not sure whether the “someone” that stated that any SEP without a fuel placard is not airworthy, is right, but cert. rules is one place where he/she could have gotten that idea. CS-23 as well as FAR part 23 has it (now). JAR-23 had it.

Last Edited by huv at 16 Jul 21:45
huv
EKRK, Denmark
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message