Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Misc. electronic conspicuity boxes: Garrecht / Air Avionics / TRX-1500A / Air Connect / PAW / PilotAware / LXnav / PowerMouse / FlarmMouse / Flarm / Uavionix / SkyEcho / SafeSky

I think Ipoad can take up to 20w in fast charge. I have never had an issue with my car charger but it does fast charge. (iPad air 4).

LFMD, France

Using my iPad mini (6th gen) and a standard usb to usb c cable, via cigar outlet, to charge, my iPad gets charged while flying, never ever overheated (and I’m full on with Wifi (Sky Echo), BlueTooth (headset) and 5G (online). I’m getting charged (not discharged!) and in 60+ hours flying in Southern Europe I’ve had zero iPad shutdowns due to anything (including heat). Of course you need to find a strategically optimum location for the installation. No issues to report.

Last Edited by Yeager at 03 Jun 09:43
Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

Yeager wrote:

Using my iPad mini (6th gen) and a standard usb to usb c cable, via cigar outlet, to charge, my iPad gets charged while flying, never ever overheated (and I’m full on with Wifi (Sky Echo), BlueTooth (headset) and 5G (online). I’m getting charged (not discharged!) and in 60+ hours flying in Southern Europe I’ve had zero iPad shutdowns due to anything (including heat). Of course you need to find a strategically optimum location for the installation. No issues to report.

yes because your ipad is on the dashboard, showed by the dashboard lip and that’s the way to do. If ever it gets in bright sun, it would overheat.

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

yes because your ipad is on the dashboard, showed by the dashboard lip and that’s the way to do. If ever it gets in bright sun, it would overheat.

My iPad is mounted on the front of the glovebox cover. The dashboard lip covers it. Additionally, the aircraft doesn’t have a perspex canopy but a carbon fibre roof. You can see the position of the holder here when we first looked at the aircraft, before replacing the eCoPilot with a Skyview HDX.

We had a USB charging point installed to the right of it, still it overheats when in use for more than, say, 2 ½ hours and shuts down. Even quicker if it’s warm outside….

EDL*, Germany

This is thread drift. Tablet charging and overheat discussions belong in new thread … don’t really see the connection to conspicuity!

LSZK, Switzerland

All of you SafeSky users, have you noticed extra drain on the battery when the app is running in the background?
Today I went for a brief flight and within 40 minutes my iPad Air lost almost 35% juice. I was also using iPad mini 6 and the drain was not that excessive on that.

Last Edited by Arun at 05 Jun 13:13
EDMB, Germany

“All of you SafeSky users, have you noticed extra drain on the battery when the app is running in the background?”

No, I haven’t noticed any additional drain, but I suppose it will use more power since it’s constantly uploading/downloading data via 3,4,5G mobile network, even if it’s very little data.

Socata Rallye MS.893E
Portugal

Arun wrote:

All of you SafeSky users, have you noticed extra drain on the battery when the app is running in the background?

I suppose it depends on how it’s being powered.

In my case I make a hotspot on my phone. My Pilot Aware connects to the phone hotspot to get internet data for its own internet derived traffic.

My tablet running EasyVFR connects to the PilotAware hotspot, which also provides internet data to the tablet via the Pilot Aware’s connection to the phone hotspot.

So as far as my tablet is concerned, it doesn’t see much difference. It’s just connected to a hotspot on the PilotAware like it always has. It might have some additional internet data to run for SafeSky but it’s through a local hotspot so doesn’t cause much additional load.

If your tablet is running a 3G/4G connection, then I can imagine that it does have a much higher power drain on it. Perhaps running a hotspot on your phone and letting your tablet connect to that might be better in your case also. It would confine the additional power drain to your phone and if that dies then your navigation on your tablet will continue along just fine, just now without SkySafe traffic.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Sky echo power supply.

Sorry if this has been covered before but have looked and not found it. Skyecho has an annoying feature that it can’t charge from USB when in use. This is apparently due to non standard USB wiring inside the unit, possibly because the operating current is too high for USB.

It means you have to take the unit home to charge and then only have 12 Hrs operation before it dies, IF you remember to switch it off after flight or remove it from the aircraft. (Guess what …)

Does anyone know a solution to this? I’m finding it useful because it has built in Flarm detection unlike other products that rely on Ground relay. What I want is direct power from the aircraft cigar lighter and no internal battery to leave on. I don’t mind a bit of soldering…

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Do you mean that the unit is unable to draw enough current from USB to sustain its operation?

If so, have you tried with a modern USB charger; the kind which does 2A or even more?

If so, then it is a cockup… But it could be this (1st hit mainly). Maybe it needs 5.2V or so, not 5.0V or 4.8V at the end of a long cable, etc.

If trying to power/charge it from some appliance (not a “charger”) then there can be problems. USB2 can source 500mA only, which is barely enough for a phone, and merely stops an Ipad Mini (running FF) discharging. USB3 can source 900mA but this is rarely used or correctly implemented. For background, google TPS2511; I used that chip to build an “intelligent” charger / power unit for my TB20.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message