Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SR22 Upgrade: WHELEN LED STROBES

Thank you!

EGTT, The London FIR
Alexis,

the LEDs seem to get fired a little longer than the old flashlight , which is good. But I´d like to know if they are as bright as the flash ? The crucial thing is which of these lights is better to see in the air. I really don´t know. Any experiences or comparisons anywhere with the LEDs ?

Vic
vic
EDME

I would say they are just as bright, or very similar, Some other pilots say that they are brighter, but I do not think so. The flasing pattern is different, and I heard that this helps, it’s just LONG flashes and not the two short ones with a pause.

One advantage is that you can always have the NAV lights on, and those are definitely brighter than the old ones.

@Vic

A lot of research goes into visibility of warning lights. In many applications, including aviation, lives depend on being seen. Whelen are probably the outright leader in this field.

If you look at airliners you will see that all the newer models are using LEDs and the lights have a long “on” time compared to the old strobe tube. You will see the same thing if you look at the patterns used on emergency vehicle light-bars.

If I remember correctly, I read some research somewhere that a 1Hz flashing pattern was more conspicuous than a 4Hz or faster flash. The technology used in the old strobe tubes simply didn’t have a 1Hz option. What you are seeing with the new lights is that the LED technology enables the adoption of better practices.

EGTT, The London FIR
Basically I like the LEDs in many sorts of applications. But in our case there is some issue with the confined space for the LEDs . Emergency vehicles have huge bars of lights around their bodies so the warnings are easily seen. The “old” flash tubes, by Whelen as well, were extremely bright, but short duration flashes of course. So big question: Are the not quite so bright LEDs in the small lamps – small square centimeter numbers – just as useful for warning as were the old very bright flashes ? One should do a test seen from a few kilometers with both types same time. But I guess, longer “on” time should be more effective. Vic
vic
EDME

Looks great! Hiw much does the kit cost? I’love to put them on the Mooney.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

LED landing lamps are certainly more visible over a longer distance in my experience

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

@Mooney_Driver
in the USA the set is around $ 1000. Mine, with the ready harness for my G2 Cirrus, was $ 1250.

Alexis’ SR22 is G-reg so presumably this was backed by an EASA STC? How is it certified?

We don’t seem to have many FAA A&P people posting here their views on mods, presumably because the FAA is known to read EuroGA and has given somebody a bollocking but it is an interesting discussion whether LED replacements like this can be installed as a Minor Alteration.

There is an overwhelming view in the USA that LED replacements for taxi/landing lights are a Minor Alteration, but those are same-size and direct replacements and these wingtip clusters are more provocative to some people and they say they need an STC (a Field Approval is also possible but few will bother). It hangs on the words “basic change to… the electrical system” in FAR 43 Appendix A, and IMHO no way is this replacement a “basic change”, but of course this can be argued both ways.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

All my CAMO wants is an EASA part 66 engineer sign it off. I also had to update the W&B sheet in the POH, … – 4 lb (;-))

Sign in to add your message