Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

50 Hour Check Extension?

I wonder what the thinking was behind the UK G-reg 6 month time limit.

I can see one possible intent behind it (the world is full of hangar queens) but let’s say you fly 50hrs in 6 months; that is 100hrs/year which is about 3x to 5x the UK PPL average! I can see a 12 month limit would make sense…hmmm… hey, it’s called the Annual

So I don’t see why Lyco would want a 4 month limit too since that translates to 150hrs/year (have never heard of it too, though I don’t doubt it – inactivity is the biggest enemy of engines and the industry is well aware of it).

The 6 month UK limit should have really been qualified so that e.g. if you are at 25hrs at the 6 month point, and the last flight was within the last few weeks, you don’t need to do the service.

The 50hr service, if done by a company, is a big cost, but the really big cost is the 150hr one which is a “G-reg special” and which really hits sundicates.

On an N-reg you don’t have this nonsense. The oil change check is done at around 50hrs and then there is just the Annual.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is the 50 hour service on a certified G-reg something the owner can do? (I presume it is, if it’s anything like the LAA recommended 6 month check, it’s all pilot maintenance stuff).

Andreas IOM

Yes, apart from ADs etc the 50hr check can be done within pilot privileges, G-reg and N-reg and probably all other Euro-regs too.

Administrator

But not if the aircraft is for hire or used for teaching the public to fly.

And the 150 check a right financial killer especially when its due 6 weeks before the annual.

Before going Permit EASA 2, we got an early annual at the 150 in that situation. You lose a month or so, but can be cheaper. Annual has to be done at least every year.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Yes, apart from ADs etc the 50hr check can be done within pilot privileges, G-reg and N-reg and probably all other Euro-regs too.

Is there a 50 hour check on an N-reg?

EGTK Oxford

Some reading e.g. here

But you probably know the answer

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The 50hr service, if done by a company, is a big cost, but the really big cost is the 150hr one which is a “G-reg special” and which really hits sundicates.

Presumably anyone with an ELA1 aircraft could write this out of their Self-Declared Maintenance Programme and save themselves the expense.

EGTT, The London FIR

Yes. I’m supposed to be writing one for my maintenance company. But don’t have the knowledge or understanding how to.

But I would like 100 hour check (although will change oil at 50 hours). No 150 check and then just annual.

I would also like to get rid of the radio annual to.

You can do it yourself right now.

The people who use a company now are the same people who will use a company in the future. The vast majority of owners use a company for everything, because

• they don’t have the skills
  • the are in an adverse political situation (e.g. a based maintenance company controls the airfield and would kick them off)
  • they don’t have a hangar (again, a standard tactic is for a maintenance company to dominate available hangarage)
  • they do have a hangar but have to use the hangar company for maintenance
  • etc etc

You need a hangar for anything involving jacking up, and for the Annual.

Where I am based, most owners fly away somewhere for maintenance. Even most schools have (historically; I don’t know about current) done that.

There are even homebuilders who use a company, for some of the above reasons. It’s the same thing because you can do the 50hr service on a certified plane on your own so a homebuilt doesn’t save you anything there.

@bathman – search for
own maintenance programme
and you will get some tips.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message