Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ELT / PLB (merged)

why is there such a price differance between ELT 406 in the US and Europe?

fly2000

Depends a bit on which brand. Shipping ELTs is done as dangerous goods due to the battery, therefore American ELT’s are more expensive. Kannad is a French brand, and will be more sensible.
Also note, that programming in the US quite often goes wrong, ELT’s can be programmed in several modes, which modes are allowed differs from country to country. Have had quite some customers with ELT’s bought in the USA, which ended up to be more expensive, as reprogramming was required.

I would recommend Kannad 406 AF Compact, which is good European product, with many support stations troughout Europe. It will be programmed by one of those stations, which likely do no the requirements of your specific situation.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

as allways thanks Jesse make somehow sence

i was just suprised on the diff of price for a ACK E 04 406 ELT in the US 480USD in Europe about 850 Euros

any suggestion about the price of the Kannard ELT in Euroland?

fly2000

Has Kannad now fixed their transmitter design (1.16.1), or was this a one-off?

Last Edited by tomjnx at 25 Nov 16:22
LSZK, Switzerland

tomjnx wrote:

Has Kannad now fixed their transmitter design (1.16.1), or was this a one-off?

I have seen this issue before, this was on 406 AF as well, this is an older design, and not the same as the AF Compact which is newer.

This issue is easily found during testing and during self-test. I did install over 100 Kannads, and tested far more (also test / program / service these for various airliners). Have had this issues two times on AF, and had one AF Compact with a VCO issue.

Measuring the current consumption is part of the maintenance procedure, including code verification, power output measurement on 121.5 MHz / 406 MHz, reset counters etc. Many “fast” battery replacements seem to skip all these test, and just change the battery.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

With a fresh annual just completed I need to arrange for my ELT battery to be changed in about 4 months time….which got me thinking where is an ELT actually compulsory? Holland, Austria?

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Under Part-NCO, a GNSS-based PLB is a valid substitute for ELT on light aircraft. As far as I remember, Netherlands deferred its implementation, but only till 2017 (?)

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

My first upgrade was an 406 MHz ELT in my Rallye because I want it there. Don’t think it’s required except perhaps in the Netherlands.

Tököl LHTL

It’s mandatory for D-regs, irrespective of where you fly it.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Not required in Ireland.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message