Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin GTX345 ADS-B Transponder

What kind of information do you get “in” here in Europe? Is it only traffic?

KHTO, LHTL

Yes, just traffic.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

1090ES can’t carry more than the traffic data unfortunately.

EGTK Oxford

Where will the traffic data come from?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I hear some owners are giving a greater urgency to fit 8.33kHz radios than ADS-B. Some are thinking of installing a second hand GNS430 to solve the radio requirement and this could also provide a GPS source for ADS-B out. However, I believe it would need to be the 430W (EGNOS capable) version for accuracy. Many fitted the “basic” GTX328 in the past to comply with Mode S which can’t be upgraded to ADS-B, increasing the cost of adding this feature.

So while I could see some going for this box if they didn’t already have (or plan to have) a suitable GPS receiver, I expect there will be quite a few who would opt for the GNS430W and GTX330ES.

Although the built-in GPS receiver is optional for these new boxes, it wasn’t clear to me if they are expected to supercede the 330ES and whether that would be retired from production soon. I guess it depends on the comparative pricing.

I don’t expect any groundstations will (re)broadcast traffic information over ADS-B as they do in the US. Their ADS-B TIS (Traffic Information Service) allows aircraft to receive position/direction/altitude of non-ADS-B traffic in their vicinity identified by ground radar.

In Europe, you don’t get TIS and so would pick up only ADS-B signals directly from aircraft in your vicinity. However the range is very good (much better than FLARM because of higher RF power and lower frequency used). I’ve easily seen airliners overhead Lydd with a portable receiver (Pilotaware) from Gloucestershire (i.e. more than 100 miles away). I would expect anything that’s likely to hit you would be visible on ADS-B well before you could see it.

Last Edited by DavidC at 20 Feb 17:53
FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

I hear some owners are giving a greater urgency to fit 8.33kHz radios than ADS-B

That is sensible since 8.33 is pretty well mandatory for everybody flying beyond the Shoreham to Lydd burger run… there are 8.33 VFR units already.

But almost nobody in light GA is radiating ADS-B.

I don’t expect any groundstations will (re)broadcast traffic information over ADS-B as they do in the US. Their ADS-B TIS (Traffic Information Service) allows aircraft to receive position/direction/altitude of non-ADS-B traffic in their vicinity identified by ground radar. So you would pick up only ADS-B signals directly from aircraft in your vicinity. However the range is very good (much better than FLARM because of higher RF power and lower frequency used). I’ve easily seen airliners overhead Lydd with a portable receiver (Pilotaware) from Gloucestershire (i.e. more than 100 miles away). I would expect anything that’s likely to hit you would be visible on ADS-B well before you could see it.

It’s a great technology for TCAS but IMHO it will be 10-20 years before there is any sort of critical mass, if ever. Currently a lot of VFR traffic is visible on active TCAS because they have transponders. Only very low level (always below say 1500ft) GA is non-TXP, generally speaking. But ADS-B will never be mandated OCAS/VFR and people are fed up with spending money on yet more stuff which gives them nothing (like Mode S) so IMHO adoption is going to be really slow for the TCAS purpose to work.

What you see currently is mostly airliners. In CAS, the traffic spacing between light GA and airliners is so great that I rarely see anything on my TCAS system, and I have it set to show -3000ft to +3000ft.

I think TCAS is brilliant and I am glad I spent the 12k on mine, but I think this one is going to happen slowly in Europe.

Administrator

DavidC wrote:

Although the built-in GPS receiver is optional for these new boxes, it wasn’t clear to me if they are expected to supercede the 330ES and whether that would be retired from production soon. I guess it depends on the comparative pricing.

Garmin plans to discontinue the GTX330 but not the GTX330ES or the diversity versions. In Europe, aircraft that will be mandated to install ADS-B Out (+5700 KG or TAS 250 Kts) will require diversity. Smaller or slower aircraft may equip with the GTX345, but larger/faster aircraft won’t have that option as the GTX335/345 don’t have a diversity option.

KUZA, United States

ADS-B. That’s what it does.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What you see currently is mostly airliners. In CAS, the traffic spacing between light GA and airliners is so great that I rarely see anything on my TCAS system, and I have it set to show -3000ft to +3000ft.

Yours is a TAS, which is different to TCAS.

Peter wrote:

But almost nobody in light GA is radiating ADS-B.

This is not true, it might be different to UK, but in the Netherlands and Germany quite some aircraft are equipped with ADS-B. Not all of them are fully compliant though. CS-STAN makes non compliant ADS-B easy as well. So more and more people will be radiating ADS-B

Peter wrote:

But ADS-B will never be mandated OCAS/VFR

It will be mandatory for flights above North Sea (at least in Dutch Airspace) for both VFR and IFR below 3000 Ft from July 1st.

For more advanced aircraft, >5700 kg > 250 Kts ADS-B out is allready implemented.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

It will be mandatory for flights above North Sea (at least in Dutch Airspace) for both VFR and IFR below 3000 Ft from July 1st.

That is going to set the cat among the pidgeons

Administrator
Sign in to add your message