Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Pilot (merged)

ThreePoint wrote:

Just out of curiosity: this “Hohe Tauern” area, is this in the Austrian AIP? While, admittedly, I wasn’t very thorough looking for it, I could not find anything there?

I think in AIP Enroute 5. 1-3

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Yes EAL – GP uses EuroFPL for FP filing because they wanted VFR FPs also, which is a pig, with all the addressing issues and constant “where has my FP disappeared to” stuff.

However GP does not offer Eurocontrol autorouting.

What is the workflow in getting a validated route out of a browser into GP?

“Hohe Tauern” area

I think the national CAA map departments check only their “printed” maps. They aren’t going to buy tablet apps and check the data on those – that is self evident from the countless examples. And I bet you that even if the CAA is aware of the error, they won’t contact the app vendor.

And neither will most users who become aware of it – the usual collection of reasons… that’s why database accuracy really depends on how many use it and how many of them are going to report an issue, especially in a foreign language (English).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just out of curiosity: this “Hohe Tauern” area, is this in the Austrian AIP? While, admittedly, I wasn’t very thorough looking for it, I could not find anything there?,

3P,

no it’s not. That’s what makes it so “tricky”. Our Austrian forumites here know all the details about that area (some have once been posted in a previous thread).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Feb 17:07
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Not in the version I’m consulting anyway…

Edit: the above was a reply to Vieke’s post.

If it’s not in the AIP, I would be surprised if they would ever manage to get even one penny in penalties from a so-called infringer. After all, the AIP is the sole reference for a foreign pilot visiting a country.

Last Edited by ThreePoint at 14 Feb 17:24

I’m indeed wrong, it is the other bird sanctuary in it

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Peter, why do you say GP uses EuroFPL. They say they use Lockheed Martin.

They don’t have auto routing yet but they told me they are bringing it in.

EGTK Oxford

I was wrong.

Autorouting is gonna be interesting

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

ThreePoint wrote:

Just out of curiosity: this “Hohe Tauern” area, is this in the Austrian AIP? While, admittedly, I wasn’t very thorough looking for it, I could not find anything there?

So if not in the AIP, does this area have any legal significance? Do you need authorisation to fly through it? Or is it just a warning / hazard area?

dnj,

again, our Austrain fellows will have more details, but in a nutshell: yes, as a bird sanctuary, it is “effectively” a prohibited area.

Will you be fined for flying through? Well, in the end you might win if you started a court trial, because it is not in the Austrian AIP*. It’s existence is not really “aviation-related”, but “nature-related”. Being such, Austria doens’t list in the AIP, only in some non-aviation law. (Reminds me of the UK Danger areas which are governed by bye-laws). By the way, Italy, France etc. do list all natural parks etc. in the AIP, making it easy for software-makers to pick it up.

(*)The problem is: it is on the Austrian VFR ICAO chart, whose designers have picked up the information from that non-aviation source. That could come to your disadvantage big time. Anyway, it’s all about avoiding trouble in the first place, so I prefer products that show it.

Anyway, I am not picking on that particular area. It just shows how diligent designers are with their databases.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Feb 18:51
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bit of an abrupt change of subject, but I really like the vertical profile view that both Garmin Pilot and SkyDemon have. I wish Jeppesen would develop this too.

Sign in to add your message