Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Kannad ELT battery replacement

So you need basically 2 cells like this one

United Kingdom

Do all these mandated checks mean that the ELT is more likely to work when you land in the sea? I just got stiffed £202.40 (+ labour) for the 4 ELT batteries in my Warrior at annual! Grrr…

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Aveling wrote:

Do all these mandated checks mean that the ELT is more likely to work when you land in the sea?

No. It is quite likely with a fixed gear that the ELT on the plane roof will be in the water with the airplane on top, it becomes useless then. For a certain operator I did a second ELT with ELT antenna on the bottom for this sort of situations.
If you do many over wat flights, items suchs as Kannad Safelink could also be of interest. Nearby vessels would be able to see you are in need of help on their radar screen (with AIS overlay).

These checks are good to ensure correct programming, incorrect programming is quite common and can delay search and rescue items.
The timing and oscillator sometimes drift out of tolerance, or on some ELTs their can be too much leakage current, draining the ELT before. The test also measures the output at 121.5 MHz, 243 and 406 MHz as well as some other parameters as described earliers.

Aveling wrote:

I just got stiffed £202.40 (+ labour) for the 4 ELT batteries in my Warrior at annual! Grrr…

This isn’t strange. The battery replacement kits are not cheap and it takes some time to do a good job. I think they did a fair job.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

for a ACK the batteries are around 110-130 euros they also have on there HP the info "how to program the unit incase one wants to do it himself incase of owner change f.ex.

fly2000

Peter_Paul wrote:

for a ACK the batteries are around 110-130 euros they also have on there HP the info "how to program the unit incase one wants to do it himself incase of owner change f.ex.

You will need additional hardware to do the programming. I also recommend to program it only, yourself if you know what you are doing. MANY ELT’s get programmed incorrectly, even at maintenance facilitaties, as the programming requirements are different between between countries, and there are multiple programming methods.

I can not understand how people want to ignore, items as of correct registration, correct programming, ELT maintenance. This thing can save you. Having incorrect data may delay the SAR action by hours.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Hello,

I must do ELT 6years check.
Anyone can recommend avionic shop in Balkan/Slovenia/Austria/Hungary area for battery replacement and 6year inspection of KANNAD ELT?

Last Edited by ermajn at 31 Oct 09:27
LQVI,LJMB

Is there a shop in Europe that does battery replacement for Kannad AF-COMPACT ?

Mine are only halfway through the 6 years but someone I know needs them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Adams Aviation in Croydon.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Thanks.

Will they process an ELT which was purchased from the US? I recall from years ago they would not do the required test.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They’ll service any Kannd ELT. We’ve had ones reprogrammed when aircraft are imported.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.
Sign in to add your message